Show/hide main menu

News & events

Vacations and Weekends

Making the most of your free time

We know you'll be working very hard during your degree, but don't forget you are studying in one of the most exciting, diverse cities in the world! Below are a few ideas of making the most of your spare time.

Get some money/work experience

Our Careers Service can help you to search and apply for part time work or a suitable work placement, internship or activity during your vacation. They also run many events and fairs throughout the year to help you find the right thing for you.

We can provide you with practical information and advice on issues such as tax and national insurance and your employment rights. If you hold a Tier 4/student visa we can also advise you on immigration restrictions relating to your visa.

Extra study

Did you know that there are several Study Abroad opportunities available just for the summer? King's College London currently has agreements with institutions throughout the world. Students can apply for these from February 2013. You can get further, practical advice on studying abroad from UKCISA.


Whether you're a home or overseas student, long university vacations are the perfect time to broaden your horizons and explore the world around you. Special deals for students mean that this doesn't need to be too expensive either!  STA Travel is a student-focussed company offering a range of travel options from short breaks to tailor-made gap years. If you'd like to explore Scotland, Wales or Ireland then Haggis and Shamrocker Adventures offer special discounts to King's students. Just type "KCL" into the promo code box when you book for 15% off on selected trips. It's also worth keeping an eye on the International Students House Travel Club, which offers a range of trips outside the UK in the Christmas, Easter and Summer vacations, as well as shorter trips in term time.

King's also has several travel awards which can help you to fund special trips for purposes other than study in certain circumstances.

If you are an overseas student, read our pages on travelling outside the UK before making any travel plans. If you are travelling abroad check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website before travelling to check any specific travel advice for your information. Wherever you are going, make sure you have travel insurance!

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Accessibility Recruitment News Centre Contact us

© 2016 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454