Dr Kelly Coate
Director of KLI/ Senior Lecturer in Higher Education
Kelly joined KLI in April 2013 as a Senior Lecturer in Higher Education. She was previously a Lecturer in Higher Education at the National University of Ireland, Galway. While in Galway for 6 years she coordinated the PG Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, and the PG Diploma/MA in Academic Practice. She also acted as Vice Dean for Graduate Studies in the College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies. Prior to that time, she was a researcher and lecturer in the Institute of Education, University of London. At the IoE, she taught on the MBA in Higher Education Management and contributed to a number of research methods programmes in the Doctoral School. She sat on the Governing Council of the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE) from 2010-2016 and is a member of the SRHE Publishing Committee. She also founded, with Dr Lesley Gourlay, the Digital University Network of the SRHE. She is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Education Policy, Teaching in Higher Education, and Higher Education Research and Development.
Research Interests and PhD Supervision
Her research interests are in the areas of higher education policy, curriculum, gender and internationalisation. She recently conducted a project (with Camille Kandiko Howson and Tania de St. Croix) on mid-career academic women and career progression.
Her current PhD students are:
- Salha Aljahoni (the development of dental education as a profession)
- Hugh Kilmister (resourcefulness of doctoral students)
- Liz Chan (the development of professional competence in veterinary education)
- Aisling Tiernan (student visa regulations and international student mobility)
- Jenny Petrucci (friendship and retention in higher education)
- Ali, S. and Coate, K. (2013) Impeccable Advice: supporting women academics through supervision and mentoring. Gender and Education (Special Issue: Tribute to Diana Leonard)
- Ashwin, P. with Boud, D., Coate, K. et al (2015) Reflective Teaching in Higher Education. London: Bloomsbury.
- Coate, K. and Kandiko Howson, C. (2016) Indicators of Esteem: Gender and Prestige in Academic Work. British Journal of Sociology of Education
Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma in Academic Practice in Higher Education
- Enhancing Academic Practice (Module)
- Management and Leadership in Higher Education (Module)
- Postgraduate Research Supervision (Module)