Show/hide main menu

Researching at King's

PhD Studentships affiliated to the Centre for LDC

A range of post-graduate studentships are available at King’s College London, affiliated to the Centre for Language Discourse & Communication. The Centre works across a number of departments, and it offers supervision in text, discourse & narrative analysis, pragmatics, linguistic ethnography, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, applied, educational, cognitive and corpus linguistics. 

To apply, you should have very good qualifications and a clear research idea, and there are several steps to follow:

1) Identify a potential supervisor, referring to our staff webpages, and then email him or her, providing information about your background, qualifications and a draft research proposal (if you are not sure about who to contact, please send the material to or

2) If your potential supervisor encourages you, have a look at the full range of studentships online. Depending on your eligibility, the possibilities include:

  • ESRC studentships with the London Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership. These cover sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, interactional discourse analysis, linguistic ethnography, areas of applied linguistics, computational linguistics, educational linguistics and language & literacy education.  Candidates can apply either for a three year PhD Studentship or for a four year Studentship which involves a one year MA and a three year PhD.

  • AHRC Studentships at the London Arts & Humanities Partnership. This covers research on linguistic structure, history, theory and description, including stylistics, discourse analysis, pragmatics, corpus studies, translation, and some areas of applied linguistics.  Studentships last three years.

3) As well as writing your studentship application – the ‘Case for Support’ – you need to apply for an ordinary/non-funded doctoral place through the online admissions portal:  You’ll need to include a research proposal in the ordinary application, but do note the difference between this and the Studentship Case for Support.  The CfS form asks specific questions and you can’t use more than 2 sides of A4.

4) Start working on the funded studentship application forms well before the deadline. Your potential supervisor can discuss your studentship proposal with you, but she/he will need the time to do so. You will also need to contact your referees to ensure that you have their references in time. 

If you need further assistance, contact or Professor Ben Rampton (

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454