Local leaders and sustaining peace in Africa
The Faculty of Laws and Political Science, University of Buea, in collaboration with the African Leadership Centre at King’s, is hosting the Africa Week seminar on the theme: 'Local Leaders and Sustaining Peace in Africa'.
Global, regional, or national peace falters without effective channels for people's voices. Conventional approaches, emphasizing political and governmental aspects, often sideline grassroots initiatives, lacking ties to broader peace efforts. Examining local agency, especially the role of leaders, is crucial for bottom-up peace sustainability. Inclusive community-led initiatives involving mayors, councilors, traditional figures, and youth contribute positively. The seminar will discuss the indispensable role of legitimate and effective local leaders in efforts to sustain peace.
The seminar will involve a simulation on traditional approaches in resolving land disputes and three paper presentations on the following sub-themes: Local women leaders and inclusivity in peace conversations; Youth agency for peace; Local authorities and representation of community interests; traditional leaders and the valorisation of endogenous peace process; Local leaders, communication and peace; Role of local leaders in giving people a voice; Local leaders and nurturing political will for peace; and leadership of women in the resolution of local land dispute.
- 10:00-10:15 GMT: Opening and welcome by Atangcho Akonumbo, Dean of the Faculty of Laws and Political Science, University of Buea;
- 10:15-10:30 GMT: Traditional dances;
- 10:30-10:35 GMT: Overview by Albert Mbiatem, Lecturer in the Department of International Relations and Conflict Resolution, University of Buea;
- 10:35-10:40 GMT: Background by Professor Sone Patience Munge, Vice Dean, Research Coordination in the Faculty of Laws and Political Science, University of Buea;
- 10:40-12:10 GMT: Students present a simulation on traditional leadership and conflict resolution;
- 12:10-13:00 GMT: Paper presentations;
- 13:00-13:30 GMT: Prize award and closing remarks.
This event is part of the African Leadership Centre's Africa Week 2024 celebrations taking place 4-8 March 2024.
This event is taking place in the University of Buea, Cameroon. Participants can join the discussion online on Zoom. A link to join will be emailed upon registering.
Search for another event