We are delighted to announce that King’s alumna Rachel Edwards has launched her debut novel, Darling, published by Fourth Estate, Harper Collins on May 17.
Darling is about the relationship between Darling, a black woman, and her white stepdaughter, Lola, in Brexit Britain. The book was conceived from the day of the Brexit vote and it explores the deep tension and trickiness that comes from these lives colliding.
Rachel was initially inspired by real-life events:
“The character of Darling came to me in early 2016. Soon after, I watched the EU referendum results in a a state of shock, like many,” she says. “When someone called out a racist comment in rural town two days after the Brexit vote, I knew what Darling’s story had to be.”
Two years on, she feels that being published has been a thrilling experience.
“I am overjoyed that my debut novel has been published. It feels truly exhilarating – and at first touch surreal – to be an author, as I had dreamed of that since childhood,” says Rachel.
Rachel studied at King’s College from 1992 to 1996. She says she ‘loved her time at King’s and genuinely enjoyed reading French with English’.
“There are many shining memories - getting into the swing of life in halls, debating and dancing with the Afro-Caribbean Society, the passion and intellect of our lecturers, an amazing year abroad in Martinique, dressing up for student balls, the sheer buzz of living in London at last. The overriding memory is how privileged I felt to be able to study what I loved most - literature and language. I also made lasting friendships: my closest King's friends remain my best friends to this day,” says Rachel.
Darling has received critical acclaim since its release:
- Best Novelists to Look Out for in 2018 – The Observer
- Best Novel by a BAME author – The Metro
- Best Books for May – Stylist
- Feature – Guardian Weekend
- Most Anticipated Novels – iBooks
- Books of Month, Best Thrillers – The Guardian
- Books We’re Loving in May – iBooks
- Book Review – The Sunday Times
- Feature - Grazia
- Books We Love – Elle Magazine
- We Love feature… - Round & About Magazine
- Book Review – The Independent
- One of The Best Books of 2018 (so far) – iBooks, June.
To read more about Rachel, her novel Darling and to order your copy, click here.