13 June 2022
King's staff and alumni honoured in Queen's Birthday Honours 2022
King’s staff and alumni have been recognised for their extraordinary contributions and service in The Queen’s Birthday Honours. Two current members of staff have been recognised, with two alumni knighted for their work in the medical field.
King's staff and alumni have been recognised by Her Majesty The Queen as part of her 2022 Birthday Honours.
Professor Jill Manthorpe CBE, who has worked at King's College London for over 20 years, has been made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) for services to social work and social care research.
Professor Jon Davis OBE has been awarded an Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to Education and History, with a significant aspect to his work mentoring many cohorts of students into government, journalism and academia.
A host of King's alumni have also been celebrated as part of the announcement.
Professor Sir David Warrell (Medicine, 1964) was appointed as a Knight Commander to the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George for services to Global Health Research. The order is awarded to people who hold high office or who render extraordinary or important non-military service in a foreign country.
Professor Sir Stephen Powis (UMDS, PhD Immunopharmacology, 1995), who is National Medical Director for NHS England, was knighted for services to the NHS.
The full list of alumni recipients on The Queen’s Birthday Honours List were:
- Peter Bason MBE (Dentistry, 1978), MBE for services to Education and Sport.
- Dr Rachel Batterham OBE (MSc Biochemistry & molecular Biology, 2002), OBE for services to People Affected by Obesity.
- Tinuade Jegede MBE (MSc Health Education with Health Promotion, 2004), MBE for services to Social Care.
- Ameet Jogia MBE (Geography, 2008), MBE for Political and Public Service.
- Matthew Littleford MBE (MA Politics and Contemporary History), MBE for services to Literature.
- Louise Marshall MBE (MA Climate Change: History, Culture, Society, 2016), MBE for services to the 2021 UN COP26 Conference.
- Professor Sir Stephen Powis (UMDS, PhD Immunopharmacology, 1995), Knighthood for services to the NHS.
- Paul Stein CBE (Electrical Engineering, 1978), CBE for services to the Economy.
- Anne Trotter BEM (PGDip Healthcare Ethics, 1998), BEM for services to Public Health.
- Professor Sir David Warrell (Medicine, 1964), KCMG for services to global Health Research
All at King’s would like to congratulate those honoured this year, as further demonstration of our excellence and the strength of our global alumni community.
We’ve done our best to identify all staff and alumni recognised in the honours list, but if you know an individual we’ve missed please do let us know.
See the full honours list here.