14 July 2021
The 2020-2021 King's Distinguished Alumni Award winners announced
After postponing the ceremony last year, the 2020 and 2021 King’s Distinguished Alumni Awards were hosted on 13 July in a special live virtual event.
Some of the finest accomplishments by King’s alumni were recognised at the King’s Distinguished Awards, where 25 alumni were honoured for how they have gone above and beyond in their careers and for the benefit of the wider community.
Hosted by Rory Bremner (French and German, 1984), the award-winning alumni were joined by friends and family around the world in a special live virtual ceremony that was also streamed live on the King’s alumni YouTube Channel. After an introduction from the new King’s President & Principal Professor Shitij Kapur, a dance performance by King’s Bhangra society and a musical set by 2020 award winner Florence Otedola (Business Management, 2014) aka DJ Cuppy.
InTouch cover star and Team GB Athletics Captain Dina Asher-Smith (History, 2017) won the 2021 Alumna of the Year award while Sue Searle (Chemistry, 1972) won the 2021 Helen Hudson Award.
They joined the rest of the 2021 winners in being announced on the night, and joined the 2020 Award Winners in the ceremony who were announced in the 2020 Autumn Winter edition of InTouch.
The full list of the 2021 award winners are:
- Alumna of the Year: Dina Asher-Smith FKC (History, 2017)
- Helen Hudson Award: Sue Searle AKC (Chemistry, 1972)
- Future Alumna Award: Aysha Ingar (MBBS, 2021)
- In Service Award: Momin Saqib (Computer Science with Management, 2019)
- Local Communities Award: Ghonche Alavi (MA Public Policy, 2015)
- Entrepreneur Award: Dr. Bhavagaya Bakshi (MBBS, 2011)
- Emerging Leader Award: Olaide Olumide (International Politics, 2013)
- Arts and Culture Award: David Stanley BEM (MMus, 2001)
- International Alumni Award: Lena Schubmann (International Relations, 2016)
- STEM Alumni Award: Valerie J. Calderbank (Physics, 1966)
- Global Health Alumni Award: Dr Aqil Jaigirdar (MBBS, 2019)
- Alumni Impact Award: Tobi Oredein (American Studies, 2011)
- Highly Commended: Marta Welander (International Relations, 2010)
2020 Award Winners:
- Alumnus of the Year: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (LLM Law, 1992)
- Helen Hudson Award: David Walsh (Human Environmental Science, 1979)
- Future Alumna Award: Lauren Elizabeth Church (MSc Space Physiology and Health, 2020)
- In Service Award: Dami Omole (Politics, Philosophy & Law, 2017)
- Local Communities Award: Romina Calatayud Martinez (Liberal Arts, 2016)
- Entrepreneur Award: Dr Pahini Pandya (PhD Cell & Molecular Biophysics, 2017)
- Emerging Leader Award: Samrina Bhatti (MPharm, Pharmacy, 2012)
- Arts and Culture Award: Florence 'Cuppy' Otedola (Business Management, 2014)
- International Alumni Award: Sarah Chen (Law, 2011)
- STEM Alumni Award: Professor Akichika Kumatani (MEng Electronic & Electrical Engineering, 2004)
- Global Health Alumni Award: Dr Toyin Ajayi (Medicine, 2008)
- Alumni Impact Award: Dr Abidemi (Ronx) Ikharia (Medicine, 2011)
All at King’s alumni office would like to congratulate our 2020 and 2021 award winners.
- King’s alumni
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- King’s Business School
- Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences
- Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences
- Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
- The Dickson Poon School of Law
- Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience