14 April 2020
Nafiza Mamun shares her Take Time In creative prompt
Amy Brown, Projects Manager - Student Engagement, Culture
KCLSU student officer shares her creative prompt to encourage #KingsCulturalCommunity to #TakeTimeIn for their wellbeing
Until the 22 May, Make Do Play will be collaborating with Take Time In, your new online wellbeing space, to bring you creative prompts from staff and students, online sessions and to give you the opportunity to win creative prizes!
This week's creative prompt comes to you from KCLSU Student Officer Nafiza Mamun, VP Postgraduate and MSc Clinical Pharmacology graduate.
She will be leading an Instagram Live creative writing session on @kclsu Monday 20 April 16:00-17:00 and giving away Guided Poetry Journals to 10 winners who have taken part in her event or shared their prompt (see below for how to enter).
Life - A Spoken Word Poem 📝
Prompt Ingredients: Paper, pen/ pencil, clock/watch/phone timer
- Write the word LIFE in the middle of a blank sheet of paper.
- Take a minute to reflect on what this word means to you, in general, and in this moment.
- Timing yourself for two minutes, do a spider-web/mind-map of as many words as possible which you associate with LIFE.
- On a fresh page, giving yourself 5-7 minutes, write a poem or free-write about this word without using the word LIFE or any word you wrote in the mind map. Think about what it is, how it feels, describe your associations and what it makes you think of.
- Read back what you wrote. Did having the constraint make your writing more creative? Did you enjoy the process or find it frustrating? Why? Do you like what you have written? Is there anything you want to add or change?
Each week of Take Time In, 10 lucky people will be in with a chance to win a special creative prize related to that week's prompt. Take part in the associate event (below) or share your response to the prompt on Instagram or Twitter with the #MakeDoPlay. If you don't want to share your work itself, why not let us know what you enjoyed about it?
Want more? - Take part in Nafiza's Instagram Live workshop | Monday 20 April 16:00-17:00 | @Kclsu
VP Postgraduate Nafiza will lead a guided step-by-step spoken word poetry writing session to explore your emotions and bring out your creative side. In a similar style as Rupi Kaur, the author of Milk and Honey, she will guide participants through writing your own poems and provide a platform to come together and share your writing.
Make Do Play is an annual programme which encourages staff and students in the #KingsCulturalCommunity to take part in creative activities for their wellbeing. With many people spending increasingly more time at home, physically distanced or in isolation, keeping active, connected and stimulated is high on everyone's agenda. While in-person activities may have stopped, for the time being, our regular creative prompts are still carrying on, challenging the #KingsCulturalCommunity to take time out during the week to engage in creative activities. Prompts are designed for staff and students of all abilities and can be done with regular household items.