Dr Assem el Baghdady
Visiting Senior Lecturer
Assem S. el Baghdady MD MFPM (Dist) is a Visiting Senior Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Medicine at King’s College London, Institute of Pharmaceutical Science. He is a qualified pharmaceutical physician with over 20 years of experience in medicines development, global research, and implementing international health and clinical strategies reflected in the founding of AlphaBeta Pharma, a drug development consultancy in 2007.
Dr el Baghdady was awarded Membership-by-Distinction by the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine for his contributions to the field of pharmaceutical medicine in 2019, and he also holds the position of Non-Executive Board Director Trustee in the Faculty and FPM Educational Supervisor and Appraiser for GMC revalidation.
Assem graduated in medicine from Ain-Shams University, Egypt and continued his research and training in neurology – with a special interest in movement disorders – in Richmond Institute of Neurological Sciences, Dublin, Ireland and the Academic Department of Clinical Neurology and Cognitive Psychology at the University of Sheffield. He is a former visiting lecturer of Clinical Drug Development at Surrey University, UK and a Senior Clinical Research Fellow at University of East Anglia, UK.
He previously held several senior executive roles concerning R&D and Medical Affairs within various pharmaceutical and biotech companies and academic institutes.
His interests are mainly in the Middle East, Africa, and Far-East regions concerning advancement of the science and practice of Pharmaceutical Medicine and promoting high standard education through founding The Middle East Association for the Pharmaceutical Medicine Professionals – MEAPP – a UK based charity, where he serves as the President, and in the field of intellectual property and technology transfers through his capacity as Head of the Innovation and Technology Support Office (ITSO) at the University of San Augustin, Philippines. He is also an avid advocate for appropriate representation of women and the elderly population in clinical trials, and an invited speaker to many national and international platforms, and author/contributor of several papers, books and book chapters in pharmaceutical medicine, clinical research, and medical affairs.
- Monoclonal Antibodies: History, Mechanism and Application, July 2022, edited by Assem el S. Baghdady and Peter D Stonier, 1st edition, Euromed Communications, ISBN 978-1-9196417-1-3 euromedcommunications.com/publications/books/**.
- Monoclonal Antibodies: History, Mechanism and Application, July 2022, Chapter (6) Clinical Development – Assem S. el Baghdady, edited by Assem S. el Baghdady and Peter D Stonier, 1st edition, Euromed Communications, ISBN 978-1-9196417-1-3 euromedcommunications.com/publications/books/**.
- Clinical Research Manual, January 2017, Chapter (20) Clinical Trials of Medicines in the Elderly – Assem el Baghdady, edited by David Luscombe and Peter D Stonier, 2nd edition Euromed Communications, ISBN:978-09956666-1-0: http://www.euromedcommunications.com/publications/books/184-clinical-research-manual.
- Collaborative Innovation in Drug Discovery: Strategies for Public and Private Partnerships, May 2014,
- Chapter (15) Unlocking the Market Potential of Academic Research, - Assem S. el Baghdady,
- Chapter (32) Successful Technology Transfer: Lessons from the Translational Medicine Research Collaboration - Assem S. el Baghdady. edited by Rathnam Chaguturu, 1st edition, Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 978-0-470-91737-4: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781118778166.ch15/references.
- Oliver R, Krueger JG, Glatt S, …., el Baghdady A, Baeten D, Ionescu L, Shaw S. Bimekizumab for the treatment of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: efficacy, safety, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and transcriptomics from a phase IIa, randomized, double-blind multicentre study. Br J Dermatol. 2021.
- ARC-12: Phase 1/1b Study to Evaluate Safety and Tolerability of AB308+ Zimberelimab (AB122) in Advanced Malignancies, S Ailawadhi, P Foster, S Ryba, M Scharville, A el-Baghdady, Blood 138, 1409.
- ARC-12: Phase I/Ib dose escalation and dose expansion study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of AB308 + zimberelimab (AB122) in advanced malignancies, AP J.A. Call, M.A. Mckean, P. Foster, C. Trudeau, M. Scharville, el-Baghdady, Annals of Oncology 32 ((suppl_5) S829-S866. 10.1016/annonc/
- 1028TiP ARC-12: Phase I/Ib dose escalation and dose expansion study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of AB308+ zimberelimab (AB122) in advanced malignancies, JA Call, MA Mckean, P Foster, C Trudeau, M Scharville, A el-Baghdady, Annals of Oncology 32, S861-S862.