I trained in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy) at King's and returned as a Clinical Senior Lecturer in 2022. Prior to this, I held academic posts at University of Sussex, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and University of Oxford. I currently work between the IoPPN's Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, where I am an Honorary Consultant Clinical Psychologist.
My research is concerned with preventing and treating common mental health problems among underserved children, young people and their families. To this end, I work on (i) studying how social and cultural contexts affect youth mental health, ill-health and help-seeking; (ii) co-designing psychosocial interventions and other practice innovations with disadvantaged and seldom-heard groups; (iii) investigating outcomes and implementation processes in pragmatic trials and service evaluations; and (iv) integrating data to understand how, when, why and for whom interventions are (and are not) effective.
I collaborate with partners in the UK and internationally to generate and translate evidence in diverse settings outside of traditional clinics. This includes projects in primary and secondary schools, children's centres, voluntary youth services and community spaces such as barbershops. There is a strong focus on scalable early interventions, incorporating brief delivery formats, transdiagnostic practice elements, digital platforms and task-sharing models of care provided by peers and paraprofessionals. Participatory approaches are emphasised so that research methods and outputs are grounded in lived experience.
Current and recent projects
- CATALYST: Co-designing and testing an Asset-based TAsk-sharing modeL for Youth mental health Services in deprived communiTies. Funder: NIHR Applied Research Collaboration in Kent, Surrey and Sussex (ARC KSS). Role: Co-PI. 2022-25.
- Baatcheet (‘Conversation’): Developing a web-based storytelling intervention to address anxiety, depression and social disability among Indian youth aged 16-24 years. Funder: Grand Challenges Canada. Role: Co-I. 2022-24.
- MHIN: Mental Health Implementation Network. Funder: NIHR. Role: Children and Young People's Mental Health (Project 2) Co-Lead. 2022-24.
- SWELL: Skills for adolescent WELLbeing. Randomised controlled trial of a group CBT intervention to prevent depression in high-risk adolescents. Funder: Wolfson Centre for Young People’s Mental Health. Role: Collaborator. 2022-24.
- HOPEFUL: Developing a hope-focused intervention to improve mental health and social outcomes among young women who are not in education, employment or training (NEET) and living in coastal communities. Funder: NIHR Public Health Research. Role: Co-PI. 2022.
- PRIDE: PRemIum for aDolEscents. Developing and evaluating a suite of transdiagnostic mental health interventions for common adolescent mental health problems in India. Funder: Wellcome Trust. Role: Clinical Academic Director. 2016-22.
- Active Ingredients: Understanding mechanisms of psychological interventions for youth anxiety and depression. Funder: Wellcome. Role: PI (problem solving); Co-I (hopefulness, self-disclosure and psychoeducation). 2020-21.
- Children and young people's mental health
- School- and community-based mental health services
- Global mental health
- Prevention and treatment of anxiety, depression, conduct problems and their co-occurrence
- Development and trials of psychosocial interventions
- Mixed-method evaluation
- Evidence synthesis
I jointly lead the Service Development and Evaluation module for the MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health.
Mathur, S., Weiss, H. A., Neuman, M., Field, A. P., Leurent, B., Shetty, T., J, J. E., Nair, P., Mathews, R., Malik, K., Michelson, D. & Patel, V., Feb 2023, In: JMIR research protocols. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Malik, K., Shetty, T., Mathur, S., Jose, J. E., Mathews, R., Sahay, M., Chauhan, P., Nair, P., Patel, V. & Michelson, D., 13 Jan 2023, (Accepted/In press) In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Gonsalves, P., Nair, R., Roy, M., Pal, S. & Michelson, D., 16 Jan 2023, (Accepted/In press) In: Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Gonsalves, P., Bhat, B., Sharma, R., Jambhale, A., Chodankar, B., Verma, M., Hodgson, E., Weiss, H. A., Leurent, B., Cavanagh, K., Fairburn, C., Cuijpers, P., Michelson, D. & Patel, V., 29 Dec 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: BJPsych Open. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2022.624
Gellatly, R., Knudsen, K., Boustani, M. M., Michelson, D., Malik, K., Mathur, S., Nair, P., Patel, V. & Chorpita, B. F., 24 Nov 2022, In: Frontiers in Psychiatry. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1038259
Bronte, M., Lester, K. J. & Michelson, D., 8 Nov 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: British Journal of Educational Psychology. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Malik, K., Parikh, R., Sahu, R., Sudhir, P., Fairburn, C., Patel, V. & Michelson, D., 9 Nov 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1111/papt.12433
Malik, K., Ibrahim, M., Mathur, S., Jose, J. E., Nair, P., Sahu, R., Krishna, M., Jangra, D., Mathews, R., Cuijpers, P., Chorpita, B., Fairburn, C. G., Patel, V. & Michelson, D., 9 Mar 2022, In: Global Mental Health. p. 1-5 Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1017/gmh.2022.7
Parikh, R., Michelson, D., Sapru, M., Sahu, R., Singh, A., Cuijpers, P. & Patel, V., 19 Aug 2019, In: Global Mental Health. 6, p. e18 Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1017/gmh.2019.16
Gonsalves, P. P., Hodgson, E. S., Michelson, D., Pal, S., Naslund, J., Sharma, R. & Patel, V., 1 Jun 2019, In: BMJ Open. 9, 6, e028244. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028244