I am Research Associate on the ESRC-funded project ‘Democratization and UN Peacebuilding’ in the Department of War Studies. The project is led by Oisín Tansey (War Studies), Sarah von Billerbeck (Reading) and Birte Gippert (Liverpool). We are examining the ways in which UN peacebuilding missions contribute to both democratic and non-democratic outcomes in conflict and post-conflict settings.
Previously, I taught in the Department of Defence Studies and the Department of European and International Studies, as well as at the University of Warwick. My PhD was completed in the framework of the Joint Doctorate on Globalisation, Europe and Multilateralism at LUISS and the University of Geneva.
I am finalising a book manuscript entitled ‘The Politics of “Christmas Tree” Mandates in UN Peacekeeping’. I am also working on collaborative projects on rapid deployment of UN peacekeepers; appointment and dismissal of UN peacekeeping leadership; relations between the UN Security Council and the Secretariat; and inter-organisational diffusion of norms, ideas, and practices between the African Union and its partners.
- International organisations
- Peacekeeping and peacebuilding
- EU foreign and security policy
- ‘Policy entrepreneurship by international bureaucracies: The evolution of public information in UN peacekeeping’, International Peacekeeping, vol. 25, no. 1 (2018)
- ‘European Union Training Mission in Somalia and the limits of liberal peacebuilding: Can EUTM contribute to sustainable and inclusive peace?’, International Spectator, vol. 46, no. 4 (2011)
- ‘Civil society and the UN Security Council: Advocacy on the Rwandan genocide’, in Partnerships in International Policy-Making: Civil Society and Public Institutions in European and Global Affairs (edited by Raffaele Marchetti, Palgrave, 2016)
- Written evidence for an inquiry by the House of Lords EU External Affairs Sub-Committee into possible UK’s co-operation with EU CSDP after Brexit (2018)
- ‘Peacekeeping country profile: Ukraine’, Providing for Peacekeeping, International Peace Institute (2016)
- ‘The European Union training mission in Somalia: Lessons learnt for EU security sector reform’, Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) Working Paper no. 11/16 (2011)