Eka Ikpe is a Senior Lecturer in Development Economics in Africa. She holds a BA in Economics from the University of Leeds, MSc in Economics (with reference to Africa) and a PhD in Economics from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
She has participated in a range of policy influencing projects including:
- contributing to a UK All-Party Parliamentary Group on an Africa Report on UK Trade with Africa in a Post-BREXIT era
- co-authoring a research study on security and development in the Sahel for the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
- training of UK Ministry of Defence staff on conflict in Nigeria
- training of Liberian legislators on security sector reform oversight
- contributing to the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Conflict Prevention Framework and co-authoring the Women Peace and Security Action Plan
- participating in the European Union-Africa Research Network
- co-authoring a background document for the UK Department for International Development proposed framework for support to security and justice provision to the poor.
Eka is a Fellow of the PLuS Alliance – a tripartite education, research and policy impact partnership across King’s College London, University of New South Wales and Arizona State University. She is on the Advisory Committee for 'Understanding and supporting creative economies in Africa: Education, networks and policy research network' (funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)). She is also on the editorial review board of the Journal of Leadership and Developing Societies.
Eka is a member of the Association for the Advancement of African Women Economists, International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy and the African Security Sector Network.
- The state and development
- Peacebuilding and development in Africa
- Developmental states in Africa and Asia
- Agriculture, energy, industrialisation and economic development
- Development planning
- Foreign direct investment
- Regionalism, development and security
- Post-conflict reconstruction
- State fragility and donor-aid policy
- Security sector reform/transformation
- Women, peace and security
- Mine action and peacebuilding
Eka is co-investigator of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Global Research Challenges Fund project, 'A clear road ahead – Developing a combined technological and socio-economic approach to freeing affected communities from anti-vehicle landmines'. She is also co-investigator on the Carnegie-funded research project, 'Future peace, society and state in Africa'.
See Eka's research profile
Hoyos Iborra, Ã., Moura, C., Ikpe, E., Njeri, S. & Jung, Y., 10 Nov 2019, Geneva: Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD). 87 p. Research output: Book/Report - Commissioned report. DOIs: https://doi.org/https://www.gichd.org/fileadmin/GICHD-resources/rec-documents/Socio-economic-impact-of-AVM-in-Angola_web.pdf
Ikpe, E., 1 Aug 2018, In : JOURNAL OF ASIAN AND AFRICAN STUDIES. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0021909617722375
Ikpe, E. & Torriti, J., Apr 2018, In : ENERGY POLICY. p. 207-215 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2018.01.011
Ikpe, E., 25 Sep 2017, In : Conflict, Security & Development. p. 381-409 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1080/14678802.2017.1371987
Alao, C. A., Ikpe, E. & Nyokabi, K. J., 2017, (Unpublished) In : Conflict, Security & Development. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Torriti, J. & Ikpe, E., 2015, In : WELTWIRTSCHAFTLICHES ARCHIV-REVIEW OF WORLD ECONOMICS. 18 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10290-014-0200-y
Ikpe, E., 2014, In : Review of African Political Economy. 41, 142, p. 545-560 16 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1080/03056244.2014.952275
Ikpe, E., 2013, Beyond the Developmental State: Industrial Policy into the 21st Century. Pluto Press Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Ikpe, E., 2012, Women, Peace and Security: Translating Policy into Practice. Routledge, p. 87-103 17 p. Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Olonisakin, F. & Ikpe, E., 2012, Peacebuilding, Power, and Politics in Africa . Ohio University Press Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter