Flavia Gasbarri is Lecturer in War Studies Education, member of the core team of the Centre for Grand Strategy and co-Chair of the Africa Research Group.
She holds a PhD in War Studies from King's College London and, after the end of her doctoral studies, she worked as Teaching Fellow (2015-2019) in the KCL Department of War Studies, covering a broad range of courses on politics, history and diplomacy. In January-July 2015, she was also appointed Teaching Fellow in the Defence Studies Department at the Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) in Shrivenham, where she worked as Academic Tutor for the British Armed Forces (both at junior and senior level). In 2018-2019, she was Academic Tutor at The Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS).
Cold War in the Third WorldEnd of the Cold WarPost-Cold War US foreign policyUS-Africa relationsSouthern AfricaHorn of AfricaAfrican Great Lakes regionRwandan genocideFlavia Gasbarri's research and main publications focus on the end of the Cold War in the Third World, the development of post-Cold War US foreign policy and US-Africa relations. She has also extensively researched and published on US policy in the Rwandan genocide and in the Great Lakes region.
- US Foreign Policy and the End of the Cold War in Africa: A Bridge between Global Conflict and the New World Order, 1988-1994, (Routledge, forthcoming May 2020)
- Flavia Gasbarri (2018) "From the Sands of the Ogaden to Black Hawk Down: The End of the Cold War in the Horn of Africa," Cold War History, 18:1, 73-89
- Flavia Gasbarri (2018) "Revisiting the Linkage: PDD 25, Genocide in Rwanda and the US Peacekeeping Experience of the 1990s," The International History Review, 40:4, 792-813
- “South Africa’s diplomacy of conflict resolution in the post-apartheid era: the case of the DRC” in New Perspectives on Diplomacy, ed. Jack Spence, Claire Yorke, Alastair Masser (Bloomsbury-IB Tauris, 2021).
- “Ronald Reagan and the Cold War endgame in the periphery: the case of Southern Africa” in The Reagan Moment: America and the World in the 1980s ed. Jonathan Hunt, Simon Miles (Cornell University Press, 2021)
- "Africa and the USA" in Africa in Global History: A Handbook, ed. Toyin Falola, Mohammed Bashir Salau (De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2021)
- 4SSW1004 Contemporary Security Issues (BA1)
- 5SSW2004 Grand Strategy and the Foundations of Anglo-American Statecraft (BA2)
- 7SSWN125 Diplomacy and Foreign Policy (MA)
- 7SSWN183 African Security (MA)