Frederick is a Professor of Practice at The Dickson Poon School of Law. He is also a Research Fellow at the Oxford Intellectual Property Research Centre, University of Oxford, and a Research Fellow at Tsinghua University, Beijing. He is a founder of the Digital Scholarship Institute and Digilabs.
He received the ‘Rising Star’ Teaching Excellence Award from King’s for 2017-18. Frederick was also inducted into the Intellectual Property Hall of Fame in 2015, which honours those who have helped to establish intellectual property as one of the key business assets of the 21st century.
Frederick is a Past President of the International Trademark Association and currently the President of the Luxury Law Alliance. He served as Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and Chief Legal Counsel of Richemont, which includes Cartier, Van Cleef and Arpels, Alfred Dunhill, and Chloe. He is currently an Advisor on Corporate Culture to the President of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
His op-eds have been featured in the Financial Times and the South China Morning Post.
Some of Frederick’s most notable pro bono legal assistance has been provided to President Nelson Mandela (South Africa) and the Shaolin Monks (China).
He is a member of the New York Bar and a solicitor of England and Wales. He has practised corporate law at Shearman and Sterling (New York) and international intellectual property law at Fross, Zelnick (New York), Lehrman & Zissu in New York. Frederick has an LLM from Columbia University School of Law in New York and an LLD from the University of Johannesburg.
Digital law enforcement of intellectual property rights, free speech, data privacy, and Internet Regulation, AI, Blockchain and Big Data Analytics. International aspects of trade mark and unfair competition law, copyright and design rights.
- Famous and Well-known Marks – An International Analysis, First Edition, Butterworths, 1997, Principal Author with contributions by 18 Specialist Co-authors. Second Edition, International Trademark Association, 2004, Principal Author with contributions by 32 Specialist Co-authors.
- From Edison to iPod – Protect Your Ideas and Profit, Dorling Kindersley, Published February 2007-2016. International editions published with co-authors – United States, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and South Africa.
- Intellectual Property and Information Wealth: Issues and Practices in the Digital Age (2007) edited by Peter K. Yu (4 volumes) Contributor: Volume 3, Chapter 10: Trademark and Unfair Competition Law, International Recognition and Protection of Famous and Well-Known Marks, January 2007.
- International Intellectual Property Law and Policy by Graeme B. Dinwoodie, published 2001. Contributor to a Chapter – Famous and Well-Known Marks. Is Harmony Possible in the Global Village?
- International Trademark Treaties & Agreements, INTA, November 1998, Editor.
- Study on IP Enforcement Measures, Especially Anti-Piracy Measures in the Digital Environment, World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, September 2019.
- Free Speech and Internet Regulation, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, 2019, Vol. 14, No. 8.
- The internet: regulators struggle to balance freedom without risk, Financial Times, 9 July 2019.
- Study on Approaches to Online Trademark Infringements, World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, September 2017.