I received my Degree (Licenciatura) and 2-year Pre-Doctoral Course (Cursos de Doctorado) in Arabic with French from Complutense University in Madrid, with study abroad at Ibn Zohr University (Morocco) and Institut Bourguiba des Langues Vivantes (Tunisia).
I carried out Postgraduate studies at Harvard University and the University of Copenhagen. I also completed a PGCE (Postgraduate Course of Education) in Spanish with French at Birmingham University.
I’ve been teaching at King’s College London for more than a decade, where I also did my PhD on Comparative Catalan Poetry: it was the first thesis written and defended in Catalan in the history of the College.
Apart from teaching Spanish, I am responsible for the Catalan Curriculum, which is offered thanks to funding from the Institut Ramon Llull based in Barcelona.
- Catalan & Spanish contemporary poetry, art & cinema
- Language teaching methods & approaches
- Technology-enhanced learning
- Endangered & minority languages
Before arriving at King’s, I worked as a Spanish Language & Culture Teaching Fellow at La Manouba University (Tunisia) through the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation (AECI) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This included teaching Spanish at all undergraduate levels, and organising events to promote Spanish language and culture.
At King’s, I received a Teaching Excellence Award (2010), becoming the first teacher of the SPLAS Department to obtain this recognition. I have also been a nominee in 2009, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 for ‘Innovation in Teaching’.
I have been invited to give workshops and seminars, for example on language teaching strategies for Masters students of Linguistics in Spain; on how to teach content in a language class to NQTs (Newly Qualified Teachers) of Spanish, and also to ‘aggrégation’ Secondary school teachers in France, as my book on the multi-awarded Minorcan poet Ponç Pons was included in the 2018 Humanities syllabus.
- Webinar (July 2020): ‘Cultura Catalana: Singular i Universal’ (by invitation), ‘34es Jornades Internacionals per a professorat de català’, Universitat de València.
- Webinar (June 2020): ‘Antoni Gaudí’s Catalan and Cosmopolitan Identity’ (by invitation), The Prince’s Teaching Institute.
- Seminar (2018): ‘An Introduction to Ponç Pons’ poetry for “aggrégation” Secondary school teachers’ (by invitation), University of Bordeaux.
- Paper (2015): ‘Bees in Films’, Arts & Humanities Festival (‘Everyone Is An Artist’), King’s College London.
- Book (2005): Ponç Pons. Llamas escritas. Antología poética. Edition, Anthology, Preface and Translation from Catalan to Spanish. Madrid: Colección Calambur de Poesía.