Visiting Research Fellow
Katja holds an MA in History from the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany. She is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
She is the author of the monograph Blood and Iron: The Rise and Fall of the German Empire 1871-1918 and writes for The Spectator, The Washington Post, UnHerd, Die Welt and other newspapers on current political affairs in Germany and Europe.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- East Germany 1945-1989
- German national history
- The Second Reich 1871-1918
Blood and Iron: The Rise and Fall of the German Empire 1871-1918 (2021)
Beyond the Wall: A New History of the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989 (2023)
Expertise and public engagement
- Podcast Tommies & Jerries on Anglo-German relations with co-host Oliver Moody, The Times’ Berlin Correspondent
- Contributing writer at The Spectator
- Contributing writer at UnHerd
- Articles for History Today, BBC History Extra, The Historian
- Public speaking events at Chalke Valley History Festival, Dublin Festival of History, Historical Association’s Annual Conference
- Political commentary on radio and TV news channels