Dr Matt Butler
Wellcome Doctoral Clinical Research Fellow
Matt is a specialist registrar in psychiatry and a Wellcome Doctoral Clinical Research Fellow with an interest in neuropsychiatry, psychopharmacology, and non-pharmacological treatment effects. He joined King’s College London in 2019 as an Academic Clinical Fellow and has since published widely in peer-reviewed journals. He is currently undertaking a neuroimaging study into the effects of the psychedelic psilocybin in functional neurological disorder. He holds MBChB (Hons) and MRes (Dist) from the University of Manchester and is a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. He is the editor of the upcoming edition of Pocket Prescriber Psychiatry.
- Functional neurological disorder
- Non-pharmacological treatment effects (e.g. placebo, expectancy)
- Neuropsychiatry Research & Education Group (NREG)
Tutor on the MSc Neuropsychiatry course and lecturer on the iBSc Abnormal Psychology course.
Expertise and Public Engagement:
Matt's work has appeared in national newspapers and televised news bulletins.
- Butler M, Jelen L, Rucker J. (2022) Expectancy in trials of psychedelic substances: if so, so what? Psychopharmacology.
- Butler M, Seynaeve M et al. (2022) Views on Using Psychoactive Substances to Self-Manage Functional Neurological Disorder: Online Patient Survey Results. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.
- Butler M et al. (2022) Emerging Knowledge of the Neurobiology of COVID-19 infection. Psychiatric Clinics of North America.
- Butler M, Scott F, Stanton B, Rogers J. (2021) Against the Stream: Psychiatrists should investigate their patients less. BJPsych Bulletin.
- Butler M & Arina Tamborska et al. (2021) Considerations for causality assessment of neurological and neuropsychiatric complications of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines: from cerebral venous sinus thrombosis to functional neurological disorder. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.
- Butler M et al. (2021) International online survey of 1048 individuals with functional neurological disorder. European Journal of Neurology.
- Butler M et (2021) Functional neurological disorder after SARS-CoV-2 vaccines: two case reports and discussion of potential public health implications. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.
- Butler M, Pollak TA, Rooney AG, Michael BD, Nicholson TR. (2020) Neuropsychiatric complications of covid-19. British Medical Journal.
- Butler M et al. (2020) Psychedelic treatment of functional neurological disorder: a systematic review. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology.