Dr Richards is a graduate of University College London and Wadham College, Oxford, where he completed his DPhil in twentieth-century French Philosophy.
He previously taught in Oxford, then for four years in Paris, at the École normale supérieure de Paris (ENS-PSL) before joining King’s as a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow.
In Paris, he was also a member of the Centre International d’Étude de la Philosophie Française Contemporaine (CIEPFC) cluster of the République des Savoirs (ENS/CNRS/Collège de France) [USR 3608].
He is currently writing a book called Science’s Fiction, about Lacanian philosophy of science.
Dr Richards also serves as the Publicity Officer for the Society for French Studies.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century French, Francophone, and European Philosophy (for example: Lacan; Sartre; Fanon; German Idealism).
- Psychoanalysis and the history of the unconscious.
- Contemporary philosophy and comparative literature, at the crossroads of cultural studies and historical epistemology with a feminist philosophy perspective.
- “The Logician of Madness: Fanon’s Lacan,” Paragraph, Journal of Modern Critical Theory(2021).
- “La Mère Dangereuse: Reimagining Scudéry’s Carte de Tendre with Lacan’s Graphe du Désir,” French Studies, (2021).
- “Infidelity as Reality: Re-Staging the Global South with Abbas Kiarostami’s Close-up,” in ARTL@S Bulletin 8:2 (2019).
- “Sartre and Lacan: Reading Qui Perd Gagnealongside Les Non-Dupes Errent,” in Freedom and the Subject of Theory: Essays in Honour of Christina Howells, eds. Oliver Davis and Colin Davis. (Oxford: Legenda) (2019).
- “‘Rühre nicht, Bock! denn es brennt:’ Schelling, Žižek and Christianity,” in Slavoj Žižek and Christianity, eds, Sotiris Mitralexis and Dionysios Skliris (2018).
- “The Violence of Politeness: Implicit Bienséancein the Sadian Universe,” Early Modern French Studies,39:1, (2017).
Dr Richards is not scheduled to teach in 2021-2022.
Richards, S., 1 Apr 2021, In: French Studies. 75, 2, p. 163-183 21 p. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1093/fs/knaa254
Richards, S., 2021, In: Paragraph: A Journal of Modern Critical Theory. 44, 2, p. 214-237 Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.3366/para.2021.0366
Richards, S., 2020, In: French Studies. 74, 2 Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1093/fs/knaa046
Richards, S., 2019, In: Artl@s Bulletin . 8, 2, p. 23-34 Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Richards, S., 2019, Freedom and the Subject of Theory: Essays in Honour of Christina Howells. Davis, O. & Davis, C. (eds.). Oxford: Modern Humanities Research Association, p. 48-60 Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctv16km130.9
Richards, S., 2019, Slavoj Žižek and Christianity. Mitralexis, S. & Skliris, D. (eds.). 1st ed. London: Routledge, 21 p. (Transcending Boundaries in Philosophy and Theology). Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter › peer-review
Richards, S., 2017, In: Early Modern French Studies. 39, 1, p. 75-88 Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1080/20563035.2017.1318475