Dr Sotiris Posporelis
Hon. Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Consultant Liaison Neuropsychiatrist
Hi, I am a Consultant Liaison Neuropsychiatrist in the NHS and an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (King's College London). Employed by South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, my main workplace is King's College Hospital, providing care for inpatients with a wide range of neurological and neurosurgical diagnoses and comorbid neuropsychiatric symptoms, including, yet not limited to: Brain Injury, Epilepsy, Encephalitis, Movement Disorders, and Functional Neurological Disorders. I also run a National Specialist Clinic as part of the Maudsley Neuropsychiatry Outpatient Service, funded by NHS-England.
I completed my Psychiatry training at the Maudsley Training Programme and was awarded the RCPsych Researcher Trainee of the year in 2014, at the International RCPsych Conference. During this time, I also completed an 18-month clinical research fellowship at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, USA) working alongside Professor Akira Sawa.
With a particular interest in education, I am the Maudsley Teaching Programme organiser, a Module Lead for the MSc in Clinical Neuropsychiatry (IoPPN) and a Firm Head for the GKT School of Medicine. I also serve as the London Division Academic Secretary of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, a contributor to the BMJ Best Practice and the most recent edition of the Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry. Oh, and my son is called Otto and I run a vinyl record label, too, but that’s not relevant, right?
Areas of clinical and research interest include: acutely disturbed behaviour (agitation, aggression, violence), deep brain stimulation, movement and impulse control disorders, functional neurological disorders, psychosis and tics
Neuropsychiatry Education & Research Group (NREG)
- Maudsley Training Programme: MRCPsych Course Organiser
- MSc in Clinical Neuropsychiatry (IoPPN): “Management of Neuropsychiatric Disorders” Module Lead and Clinical Observership Lead
- MSc in Affective Disorders: “Treating Mood Disorders in Liaison Psychiatry”
- MSc in Clinical Neuroscience: “Functional Neurological Disorders”
Expertise and Public Engagement
Maudsley Teaching Programme (MTP): I am the MTP Organiser, responsible for the teaching provided to Core Trainees in their first two years of their training.
Maudsley Learning: https://maudsleylearning.com/insights/braincast-webinar-series/
I developed and established BRΛINCAST, a weekly 30-minute conversation with inspiring people from all around the world sharing their love about the most fascinating thing that happened to your head...your brain! From the microscopic magic of a molecular scientist to the all-encompassing worldview of a philosopher, from up-and-coming PhD students to well-established professors, BRΛINCAST is open to everyone that’s curious! Nah, it’s not serious...the brain is too interesting to be serious! Just cast your brain aside (see what I did there?) and enjoy.
Neuropsychiatry in a day: Conditions at the interface between neurology and psychiatry present particular challenges to clinicians. Led by experienced clinicians and established academics, this one-day course will cover the latest research and skills for assessing and treating a variety of neuropsychiatric disorders including head injury, neuroinflammatory conditions, memory disorders, functional disorders, and more. With a focus on best clinical practice, the course is informed by current research findings relevant to diagnosis, management and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Royal College of Psychiatrists: I am the London Division Academic Secretary, responsible for organising two London Division conferences a year.
Maudsley/IoPPN Grand Round(s): most probably the most iconic and longstanding IoPPN event, this is a weekly real case presentation led by SLaM Clinical Teams, alongside clinical and academic experts from the IoPPN
GKT School of Medicine: Head Firm for 3rd Year Medical students
Fair Weather Friends Records: I co-own and run a vinyl record label https://fwfrecords.bandcamp.com
- Variability and magnitude of brain glutamate levels in schizophrenia: a meta and mega-analysis. Merritt K, McCutcheon RA, Aleman A, Ashley S, Beck K, Block W, Bloemen OJN, Borgan F, Boules C, Bustillo JR, Capizzano AA, Coughlin JM, David A, de la Fuente-Sandoval C, Demjaha A, Dempster K, Do KQ, Du F, Falkai P, Galińska-Skok B, Gallinat J, Gasparovic C, Ginestet CE, Goto N, Graff-Guerrero A, Ho BC, Howes O, Jauhar S, Jeon P, Kato T, Kaufmann CA, Kegeles LS, Keshavan MS, Kim SY, King B, Kunugi H, Lauriello J, León-Ortiz P, Liemburg E, Mcilwain ME, Modinos G, Mouchlianitis E, Nakamura J, Nenadic I, Öngür D, Ota M, Palaniyappan L, Pantelis C, Patel T, Plitman E, Posporelis S, Purdon SE, Reichenbach JR, Renshaw PF, Reyes-Madrigal F, Russell BR, Sawa A, Schaefer M, Shungu DC, Smesny S, Stanley JA, Stone J, Szulc A, Taylor R, Thakkar KN, Théberge J, Tibbo PG, van Amelsvoort T, Walecki J, Williamson PC, Wood SJ, Xin L, Yamasue H, McGuire P, Egerton A; 1H-MRS in Schizophrenia Investigators. Mol Psychiatry. 2023 Feb 17. doi: 10.1038/s41380-023-01991-7. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36806762
Managing patients with comorbidities: future models of care. Rayman G, Akpan A, Cowie M, Evans R, Patel M, Posporelis S, Walsh K. Future Healthc J. 2022 Jul;9(2):101-105. doi: 10.7861/fhj.2022-0029. PMID: 35928198
- Suicidal and self-injurious behaviour following Adalimumab reference-to-generic biosimilar switch. Ward C, Farag M, Pollak TA, Coutinho E, Posporelis S. Suicidal and self-injurious behaviour following Adalimumab reference-to-generic biosimilar switch. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2021 Nov 18. doi: 10.1111/pcn.13315. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34792254.
- Inflammatory and blood gas markers of COVID-19 delirium compared to non-COVID-19 delirium: a cross-sectional study. Saini A, Oh TH, Ghanem DA, Castro M, Butler M, Sin Fai Lam CC, Posporelis S, Lewis G, David AS, Rogers JP. Aging Ment Health. 2021 Oct 15:1-8. doi: 10.1080/13607863.2021.1989375. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34651536.
- Association of Age, Antipsychotic Medication, and Symptom Severity in Schizophrenia With Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Brain Glutamate Level: A Mega-analysis of Individual Participant-Level Data. Merritt K, McGuire PK, Egerton A; 1H-MRS in Schizophrenia Investigators, Aleman A, Block W, Bloemen OJN, Borgan F, Bustillo JR, Capizzano AA, Coughlin JM, De la Fuente-Sandoval C, Demjaha A, Dempster K, Do KQ, Du F, Falkai P, Galinska-Skok B, Gallinat J, Gasparovic C, Ginestet CE, Goto N, Graff-Guerrero A, Ho BC, Howes OD, Jauhar S, Jeon P, Kato T, Kaufmann CA, Kegeles LS, Keshavan M, Kim SY, Kunugi H, Lauriello J, Liemburg EJ, Mcilwain ME, Modinos G, Mouchlianitis ED, Nakamura J, Nenadic I, Öngür D, Ota M, Palaniyappan L, Pantelis C, Plitman E, Posporelis S, Purdon SE, Reichenbach JR, Renshaw PF, Russell BR, Sawa A, Schaefer M, Shungu DC, Smesny S, Stanley JA, Stone JM, Szulc A, Taylor R, Thakkar K, Théberge J, Tibbo PG, van Amelsvoort T, Walecki J, Williamson PC, Wood SJ, Xin L, Yamasue H. JAMA Psychiatry. 2021 Jun 1;78(6):667-681. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2021.0380. PMID: 33881460
- Reduced Activity in an Inpatient Liaison Psychiatry Service During the First Wave of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Comparison With 2019 Data and Characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 Positive Cohort. Butler M, Delvi A, Mujic F, Broad S, Pauli L, Pollak TA, Gibbs S, Fai Lam CCS, Calcia MA, Posporelis S. Front Psychiatry. 2021 Feb 2;12:619550. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2021.619550. eCollection 2021. PMID: 33603687
- A multimodal approach to studying the relationship between peripheral glutathione, brain glutamate, and cognition in health and in schizophrenia. Coughlin JM, Yang K, Marsman A, Pradhan S, Wang M, Ward RE, Bonekamp S, Ambinder EB, Higgs CP, Kim PK, Edwards JA, Varvaris M, Wang H, Posporelis S, Ma S, Tsujimura T, Edden RAE, Pomper MG, Sedlak TW, Fournier M, Schretlen DJ, Cascella NG, Barker PB, Sawa A. Mol Psychiatry. 2020 Oct 19. doi: 10.1038/s41380-020-00901-5. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33077854
- G-CSF mediated neutrophil augmentation in a unique case of comorbid idiopathic Parkinson's disease and treatment-resistant schizophrenia on clozapine. Morrow O, Gibson L, Bhamra M, David AS, Posporelis S.Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2020 Sep 16;10:2045125320956414. eCollection 2020. PMID: 32973999
- Joint BAP NAPICU evidence-based consensus guidelines for the clinical management of acute disturbance: De-escalation and rapid tranquillisation. Patel MX, Sethi FN, Barnes TR, Dix R, Dratcu L, Fox B, Garriga M, Haste JC, Kahl KG, Lingford-Hughes A, McAllister-Williams H, O'Brien A, Parker C, Paterson B, Paton C, Posporelis S, Taylor DM, Vieta E, Völlm B, Wilson-Jones C, Woods L; With co-authors (in alphabetical order):.J Psychopharmacol. 2018 Jun;32(6):601-640. doi: 10.1177/0269881118776738. Epub 2018 Jun 8. PMID: 29882463
- Deep Brain Stimulation of the Memory Circuit: Improving Cognition in Alzheimer's Disease. Posporelis S, David AS, Ashkan K, Shotbolt P. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018;64(2):337-347. doi: 10.3233/JAD-180212 PMID: 29865076 Review.
- Decoupling of Brain Temperature and Glutamate in Recent Onset of Schizophrenia: A 7T Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. Posporelis S, Coughlin JM, Marsman A, Pradhan S, Tanaka T, Wang H, Varvaris M, Ward R, Higgs C, Edwards JA, Ford CN, Kim PK, Lloyd AM, Edden RAE, Schretlen DJ, Cascella NG, Barker PB, Sawa A. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018 Mar;3(3):248-254. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2017.04.003. Epub 2017 Apr 21. PMID: 29486866
- Demographic and clinical correlates of suicidality in adolescents attending a specialist community mental health service: a naturalistic study. Posporelis S, Paspali A, Takayanagi Y, Sawa A, Banerjea P, Kyriakopoulos M. J Ment Health. 2015 Aug;24(4):225-9. doi: 10.3109/09638237.2015.1022249. Epub 2015 Jul 23. PMID: 26203534
- Promoting careers in academic research to psychiatry residents. Posporelis S, Sawa A, Smith GS, Stitzer ML, Lyketsos CG, Chisolm MS. Acad Psychiatry. 2014 Apr;38(2):185-90. doi: 10.1007/s40596-014-0037-7. Epub 2014 Feb 5. PMID: 24497181
- High prevalence of smoking in Northern Greece. Sichletidis LT, Chloros D, Tsiotsios I, Kottakis I, Kaiafa O, Kaouri S, Karamanlidis A, Kalkanis D, Posporelis S.Prim Care Respir J. 2006 Apr;15(2):92-7. doi: 10.1016/j.pcrj.2006.01.004. Epub 2006 Feb 28. PMID: 16701767