Senior Visiting Research Fellow
Tamim Asey is the Executive Chairman of The Institute of War and Peace Studies (IWPS) and Council on Foreign Relations of Afghanistan (CFRA). Both professional, non-government and non-partisan national security and foreign policy think tanks based in Kabul.
He is a graduate of the Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS) in London and the former Deputy Minister for Policy and Strategy at the Ministry of Defense of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. He previously served as the Director General of International Relations and Regional Security Cooperation at the Office of National Security Council (ONSC) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. He also served as the Director General for Policy and Strategy at ONSC.
He is a fellow at Asia Society and was a Fulbright scholar at Columbia University. Mr. Asey also taught at the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF). He is a prolific writer and regular contributor to Atlantic Council South Asia, Foreign Policy, The Diplomat, Eurasia Review among others and appears regularly on national and international media including BBC World, CNN, Al Jazeera and other to discuss political and economic developments in Afghanistan, Central and South Asia.
- The Institute of War and Peace Studies (IWPS)
- Council on Foreign Relations of Afghanistan (CFRA)
- Royal College of Defense Studies (RCDS)
- The Asia Society
- Afghanistan military and defence history
- Geopolitics of South and Central Asia
- Iranian security and foreign policy
- Defence budgeting and economics
- Asey, T. (2021, April 29). Rebooting neutrality in Afghan foreign policy – a framework for global and regional engagement on AFGHANISTAN post-US and NATO WITHDRAWAL. Atlantic Council.
- Asey, T. (2021, February 5). A house DIVIDED: AFGHANISTAN neighbors' power play and Regional countries' hedging strategies for peace. Atlantic Council.
- Asey, T. (2020, December 22). From warriors to Peacekeepers: What the future holds for the Afghan national defense and security forces. Atlantic Council.
- Asey, T. (2014, December 10). Sinophilia and sinophobia in Afghanistan. The Diplomat.
- Asey, T. (6309, January 1). China: Afghanistan's New Hope. Foreign Policy.
- Asey, T. (n.d.). Taliban Unmasked: Afghan Taliban's Continued Symbiotic Relationship with al Qaeda and International Terrorism. Small Wars Journal.