Dr William de Sousa Moreira
Dr William S. Moreira is a professor at the Brazilian Naval War College (BNWC). He has a Doctorate in Naval Sciences from the BNWC, and a Doctorate in Political Science, from the Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro.
He is the ST&I Advisor at the BNWC and teaches at the Postgraduate Programme on Maritime Studies. As a Captain (Retd.), he has professional experience in Defence, Strategy and Force Planning.
He is also the Coordinator of Professional Postgraduate Programmes of the Area of Political Science and International Relations at the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), a Ministry of Education Foundation.
William has been the point of contact of the KCL-BNWC partnership since 2015 and has taken part in the organisation and execution of academic events between the two institutions. He is now a Visiting Professor at the Department of Defence Studies - KCL.
- Strategy, technology, and the use of force at sea.
- Maritime Security in South Atlantic
William´s current research addresses two themes: maritime security in the South Atlantic; and strategy, force planning, and the acquisition system.
- Maritime Studies: Perspectives and Approaches. Almeida, F. E. A.; & Moreira, W. S. (2019). São Paulo: Humanitas, v. 1. 422p. Book.
- From Coal to Oil and Nuclear Energy: The Navy Transformation. Moreira, W. S. (2018). In: Abreu, G. M.; Barbosa Júnior, I. (2018). Brazilian Navy: a Historical Synthesis. Diretoria do Patrimônio Histórico e de Documentação da Marinha. Rio de Janeiro. pp. 284-307. Book chapter.
- Maritime Co-operation among South Atlantic Countries and Repercussions for the Regional Community of Security Practice. Medeiros, S. E.; & Moreira W. M. (2017). Contexto Internacional. vol.39 no. 2. Rio de Janeiro May/Aug. Article - peer-review.
- The South Atlantic: Security, Defence and Technological Challenges. In: Érica C. A. Winand. (Org.) (2016). Defesa e segurança do Atlântico Sul VIII ENABED. 1ed. São Cristóvão: Universidade Federal de Sergipe, v. 1, p. 35-44. Book chapter.
- Organisational Structure and Procedural Framework for Defence Acquisition in Brazil: The Challenge of Technology Transfer. In: BEHERA, Laxman (2013). Defence Acquisition: International Best Practices. Institute for Defence Studies & Analyses (IDSA). Pentagon Press: New Dehli. p. 375-388. Book chapter.
Discipline “Science, Technology, Innovation and Maritime Power” at the “Postgraduate Programme in Maritime Studies’.