Research Training Support Grant
Please note: students funded by LISS-DTP, please refer to the LISS-DTP website for information about research training and support. The information below is for legacy, KISS DTC-funded students only.
As a KISS DTC-funded student, you have access to a Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) worth £750 per year (£375 per year for part-time students.) This money is held within a studentship account which can be accessed by the administrator within your department. To use these funds, you should approach your departmental administrator in the first instance to find out how the process of payment or reimbursement will work.
It is possible to spend more than your allocated £750 in one year – however, this will reduce your allocation for future years. Any unspent funds in one year carry on to the next, so you will not lose any of this money throughout your studentship period.
Your RTSG can be used for the following expenses:
- UK fieldwork expenses;
- UK, EU & Overseas conferences and summer schools;
- language training courses (usually undertaken in the UK prior to an overseas fieldwork trip)
- reimbursement of interpreters, guides, assistants;
- survey costs, e.g. printing, stationary, telephone calls;
- purchase of small items of equipment, e.g. cameras, tape recorders, films, cassettes
- gifts for local informants;
- books and other reading materials not available through libraries.
Normally, you will be expected to cover these expenses wholly from your RTSG and stipend payments or will need to discuss possible extra funding through your supervisor and/or department.