Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
The Online Pre-sessional prepares you for your degree studies at King’s. It offers English language and academic preparation to enable you to achieve success in their chosen degree. Successful completion of the Pre-sessional will allow you to meet the English language requirements of your degree offer.
Online learning allows you to remain at home for a longer period of time before your degree commences. We structure our programme to ensure that you are able to attend lectures and tutorials at a time suitable for your time zone, while a number of self-guided study sessions and preparatory tasks can be completed at times to suit you, but in advance of a specific class.
The online programme is our most flexible Pre-sessional, although there is a significant time commitment and requirement to complete the components of the course to meet the conditions of your degree offer.
The 11-week Pre-sessional seeks to boost your English by 1.0 IELTS or equivalent.
This programme is a highly respected alternative to retaking external English tests, as it teaches both the academic and English language skills needed to succeed at King’s.
"King's is always committed to making full use of online resources to achieve high-quality teaching. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for more confidence in academic English before starting at King’s."
Quinan Li, 6-week Online Pre-sessional
What can I expect in terms of the Online Pre-sessional?
King's Foundations is a sector leader in delivering high quality and engaging online programmes and was shortlisted for a British Council innovation award for its Combined Pre-sessional programmes, which are a mix of online and on-campus learning.
As a King's Pre-sessional student you will have:
- full access to King’s online resources as a student of the university
- face-to-face interaction online with teachers and fellow students
- regular personal feedback on your work and progress in face-to-face online tutorials
- the ability to work at your own pace and develop your confidence
- high quality, innovative, British Council award-nominated lessons
- technical support provided Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm London-time
We take a portfolio approach to assessment. This means that you will have several tasks to submit during the programme which will input to your final, overall grade.
Our assessment is designed so that you can build on the feedback and input you get from your tutors. On successful completion of the Online Pre-sessional programme, you will progress to your chosen degree.
Required Pre-sessional exit grades vary depending on your chosen degree. You will also be supported during your degree through continued skills support.
What will I achieve?
The main aim of the Pre-sessional is to ensure that you meet or exceed the minimum language entry requirements for your chosen degree. In addition, you will:
- receive an introduction to the UK academic culture
- improve your ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively at university level
- focus on improving your linguistic and academic skills, required for successful study at King's
- benefit from using an online platform and virtual face-to-face learning
- enjoy online study and the more flexible approach to learning that it allows
- a bespoke business stream for students progressing to King’s Business School
- develop your academic:
- reading and writing skills so you are able to submit strong written assignments on your degree course
- listening skills to be able to follow, take notes and learn from lectures on your degree course
- speaking skills so you can participate effectively in seminars and communicate successfully with your classmates and tutors on your degree course
- language and confidence online before joining your degree programme.
What are the entry requirements?
You need to hold an offer to study a degree at King’s.
The Pre-sessional has different entry requirements depending on the English language level needed by each academic department.
Please use our Pre-sessional English Calculator to find out which Pre-sessional course is right for you and the English language requirements for each department.
If you do not know which faculty or department offers your degree, search for your course.
We can accept the same standardised tests as we do for our degree programmes. These are IELTS (UKVI or Academic), Pearson Test of English (UKVI or Academic), TOEFL iBT (including TOEFL home, where it is being offered), Cambridge and Trinity exams.
See our Pre-sessional entry requirements for more information.
PLEASE NOTE: students who hold unconditional offers are welcome to register for a 6-week Pre-sessional.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a combination of online lectures, seminars and classes:
- Weekly webinars, seminars, lectures and tutorials.
- Tutorial every week - 2-3 students with a teacher, live interaction – generally 30 minutes in duration
- There is a choice of times to attend tutorials and lessons so can fit it around work or studies or family
- Flexible self-study through video lessons and complete related work over the week. Some lessons focus on listening and others will focus on reading and writing
- Each week you will be required to submit work on a task, you will receive individual feedback and support.
Weekly time commitment
The Pre-sessional programmes are full-time, intensive programmes which combine structured study with independent study. You are expected to commit to at least 35 hours a week for class and self-study activities.
In most weeks, your course will include at least:
- 7 hours of live classes lead by a tutor
- 10 hours of online tutor-directed lessons
- 10 hours of independent study and assessment work
- A variety of organised enrichment and co-curricular activities
If you are undertaking the online components of your programme while based in another country, we structure our programme to ensure that you are able to attend lectures and tutorials at a time which is compatible with your time zone.
Tutor-directed study is scheduled for specific times, but self-directed study and preparatory tasks can be completed at times to suit you, generally in advance of a specific class.
How much does it cost?
For more information regarding our courses please contact us using the details below