Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
The Online Pre-sessional programme prepares you for your degree studies at King’s. It offers English language and academic preparation to enable you to achieve success in your chosen degree. Successful completion of the Pre-sessional programme will allow you to meet the English language requirements of your degree offer.
Online learning allows you to remain at home for a longer period of time before your degree commences. Our highly qualified and experienced tutors will support you in a range of live online classes which will help build your confidence as well as your academic English and academic literacy skills.
The 11-week Pre-sessional seeks to boost your English by 1.0 IELTS or equivalent
This programme is a desirable alternative to retaking external English tests, as it teaches both the academic and English language skills needed to succeed at King’s. Successful completion of the programme.
"King's is always committed to making full use of online resources to achieve high-quality teaching. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for more confidence in academic English before starting at King’s."
Quinan Li, 6-week Online Pre-sessional
What will I achieve?
The main aim of the Pre-sessional is to ensure that you meet or exceed the minimum language entry requirements for your chosen degree. In addition, you will:
- receive an introduction to the UK academic culture
- improve your ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively at university level
- develop your academic reading and writing skills to cope with the demands of your degree
- improve your listening and speaking skills to help you better understand lectures and participate effectively in tutorials and seminars
- explore texts, lectures and vocabulary related to your subject area. There is also a bespoke business stream for students progressing to King’s Business School.
In 2022 we surveyed our Pre-sessional students and as a result:
- 97% felt better prepared for their degree studies
- 99% felt their academic reading and writing skills had improved
- 97% would recommend the programme to a friend
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a combination of the following:
- Classes, seminars and lectures
- Weekly small group tutorials
- Group and individual work
Throughout the course you will receive feedback on your work to enable you to monitor your own progress and develop your skills.
Weekly time commitment
The Pre-sessional programmes are full-time, intensive programmes which combine structured study with independent study. You are expected to commit to at least 35 hours a week for class and self-study activities.
In most weeks, your course will include at least:
- 13 hours of classes with your tutor
- 2 hours of lectures
- 4 hours of guided online lesson preparation
- 30 min group tutorial
- 10-15 hours of independent study and assessment work
- A variety of organised enrichment and co-curricular activities
You will take part in an assessed seminar, complete a listening test and write an extended essay.
To help you better prepare for the assessment tasks, you will complete a range of coursework and practice tasks. You will also receive tutor feedback on your work, which should help you better understand and monitor your own progress and prepare you for the assessment tasks.
On successful completion of the Pre-sessional programme, you will progress to your chosen degree. Required Pre-sessional exit grades vary depending on your chosen degree.
What are the entry requirements?
You need to hold an offer to study a degree at King’s.
The Pre-sessional has different entry requirements depending on the English language level needed by each academic department.
Please use our Pre-sessional English Calculator to find out which Pre-sessional course is right for you and the English language requirements for each department.
If you do not know which faculty or department offers your degree, search for your course.
We can accept the same standardised tests as we do for our degree programmes. These are IELTS (UKVI or Academic), Pearson Test of English (UKVI or Academic), TOEFL iBT (including TOEFL home, where it is being offered), Cambridge and Trinity exams.
See our Pre-sessional entry requirements for more information.
PLEASE NOTE: students who hold unconditional offers are welcome to register for a 6-week Pre-sessional.
How much does it cost?
For more information regarding our courses please contact us using the details below