Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
The 16-week Postgraduate Combined Pre-sessional is a full-time academic preparation course for international students who hold an offer to study a postgraduate course at King’s. It is a highly respected alternative to retaking external English tests, as the Pre-sessional teaches both the academic and English language skills needed to succeed at King’s.
The combined programme allows you to study the first part of the course online, from the comfort of your own home, before joining your classmates in London. Students should travel to London in time to join classes on the King's campus on Monday 8 July 2024.
What can I expect from the Combined Pre-sessional?
This is a full-time, intensive course and as a King's Pre-sessional student you will have:
- daily classes with your teachers and fellow students
- regular feedback on your work and progress in face-to-face tutorials
- guided online resources to help you prepare for your live classes
- full access to King’s resources as a student of the university
What will I achieve?
The main aim of the Pre-sessional is to ensure that you meet the language entry requirements for your chosen degree. In addition, you will:
- get to know King’s campuses and online platforms before starting your degree
- improve your ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively at university level
- develop your academic reading and writing skills to cope with the demands of your degree
- improve your listening and speaking skills to help you better understand lectures and communicate effectively with your tutors and classmates
- be introduced to UK academic culture and have the chance to explore London before your degree starts
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a combination of the following:
- Group classes, lectures and tutorials
- Guided online lesson preparation
- Group and individual tasks
Throughout the course you will receive feedback on your work to enable you to monitor your own progress and develop your skills.
Weekly time commitment
The Pre-sessional is a full-time, intensive programme which combines scheduled classes with independent study. You are expected to commit to at least 35 hours a week for class and self-study activities.
In most weeks, your course will include at least:
- 13 hours of classes with your tutor
- 2 hours of lectures
- 4 hours of guided online lesson preparation
- 30 min small group tutorial
- 10-15 hours of independent study and assessment work
- A variety of co-curricular and social activities
You will take part in an assessed seminar, complete a listening test and reading test, and write an extended essay.
To help you prepare for the assessment tasks, you will complete a range of coursework and practice tasks. You will receive feedback on your work to help you monitor your own progress and develop your skills.
On successful completion of the Pre-sessional programme, you will progress to your chosen degree. You will not need to take any further exams.
What are the entry requirements?
You need to hold an offer to study a degree at King’s.
The Pre-sessional has different entry requirements depending on the English language level needed by each academic department. Please use our Pre-sessional English Calculator to find out which Pre-sessional course is right for you and the English language requirements for each degree.
How much does it cost?
For more information regarding our courses please contact us using the details below