Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
The 16-week Combined Pre-sessional is a full-time academic English and study skills preparation course for international students who hold an offer to study an undergraduate or postgraduate course at King’s. Successful completion of the Pre-sessional will allow you to meet the English language requirements of your degree offer.
The Combined Pre-sessional offers you a modern way of studying our long-established Pre-sessional, combining online and on-campus blended learning. It provides you with flexibility by allowing you to start the course online, from the comfort of your own home.
The 16-week Pre-sessional seeks to boost your English by 1.5 IELTS or equivalent. This programme is a highly respected alternative to retaking external English tests, as it teaches both the academic and English language skills needed to succeed at King’s.
97% of students met the conditions to progress to their chosen degree at King's in 2021 and our Pre-sessional programme satisfaction has been at least 95% for the past three years.
What will I achieve?
The main aim of the Pre-sessional is to ensure that you meet or exceed the minimum language entry requirements for your chosen degree. In addition, you will:
- receive an introduction to the UK academic culture
- improve your ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively at university level
- develop your academic reading and writing skills to cope with the demands of your degree
- improve your listening and speaking skills to help you better understand lectures and participate effectively in tutorials and seminars
- explore texts, lectures and vocabulary related to your subject area. There is also a bespoke business stream for students progressing to King’s Business School.
In 2021 we surveyed our Pre-sessional students and as a result:
- 96% felt better prepared for their degree studies
- 97% would recommend the programme to a friend
- 99% would review and replay the online lessons in the future to support their studies
What can I expect in terms of the Combined Pre-sessional?
This is a full time, intensive course. The first 4 weeks of the course will be studied online; the final 12 weeks of the course will be delivered on campus in London.
King's Foundations is a sector leader in delivering high quality and engaging online programmes and was shortlisted for a British Council innovation award for its Combined Pre-sessional programmes.
As a King's Pre-sessional student you will have:
- full access to King’s resources as a student of the university
- face-to-face interaction with teachers and fellow students
- regular feedback on your work and progress in face-to-face tutorials
- the ability to work at your own pace and develop your confidence
- high quality, innovative, British Council award-nominated lessons
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a combination of the following:
- Live classes, seminars and lectures
- Weekly small group tutorials
- Flexible self-study through online lessons which link directly to your live classes.
- Group and individual work
Throughout the course you will receive feedback on your work to enable you to monitor your own progress and develop your skills.
Weekly time commitment
The Pre-sessional programmes are full-time, intensive programmes which combine structured study with independent study. You are expected to commit to at least 35 hours a week for class and self-study activities.
In most weeks, your course will include at least:
- 12 hours of face-to-face classes lead by a tutor
- 3 hours of live lectures
- 5 hours of online tutor-directed lessons
- 10 hours of independent study and assessment work
- A variety of organised enrichment and co-curricular activities
If you are undertaking the online components of your programme while based in another country, we structure our programme to ensure that you are able to attend lectures, classes and tutorials at a time which is compatible with your time zone.
Tutor-directed study is scheduled for specific times, but self-directed study and preparatory tasks can be completed at times to suit you, generally in advance of a specific class.
You will complete tasks which assess your language skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking – primarily in an integrated form, e.g. one piece assessing reading and writing.
To help you better prepare for the assessment tasks, you will complete a range of coursework and practice tasks. You will also receive tutor feedback on your work, which should help you better understand and monitor own progress, and prepare you for the assessment tasks.
On successful completion of the Pre-sessional programme, you will progress to your chosen degree. Required Pre-sessional exit grades vary depending on your chosen degree. You will also be supported during your degree through continued skills support.
What are the entry requirements?
You need to hold an offer to study a degree at King’s.
The Pre-sessional has different entry requirements depending on the English language level needed by each academic department.
All students will require a Secure English language test (SELT), except for those who may be eligible for an integrated CAS. Please see a list of all tests and entry requirements here: Pre-sessional Entry Requirements 2022.
PLEASE NOTE: students who hold unconditional offers are welcome to register for the 6-week Pre-sessional.
How much does it cost?
For more information regarding our courses please contact us using the details below