Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
The 16-week Combined Pre-sessional is a full-time, intensive programme offering you a modern way of studying our long-established Pre-sessional programme, combining online and on-campus learning. It provides you with flexibility by allowing you to study the first part of the course online, from the comfort of your own home. Students should travel to London on the weekend of 8-9 July 2023, to join classes on the King's campus on Monday 10 July 2023.
The 16-week Pre-sessional seeks to boost your English by 1.5 IELTS or equivalent. This programme is a highly respected alternative to retaking external English tests, as it teaches both the academic and English language skills needed to succeed at King’s.
99% of students met the conditions to progress to their chosen degree at King's in 2022 and our Pre-sessional programme satisfaction has been over 95% for the past three years.
What will I achieve?
The main aim of the Pre-sessional is to ensure that you meet or exceed the minimum language entry requirements for your chosen degree. In addition, you will:
- receive an introduction to the UK academic culture
- improve your ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively at university level
- develop your academic reading and writing skills to cope with the demands of your degree
- improve your listening and speaking skills to help you better understand lectures and participate effectively in tutorials and seminars
- explore texts, lectures and vocabulary related to your subject area. There is also a bespoke business stream for students progressing to King’s Business School.
In 2022 we surveyed our Pre-sessional students and as a result:
- 97% felt better prepared for their degree studies
- 99% felt their academic reading and writing skills had improved
- 97% would recommend the programme to a friend
What can I expect in terms of the Combined Pre-sessional?
This is a full-time, intensive course and as a King's Pre-sessional student you will have:
- full access to King’s resources as a student of the university
- daily interaction with teachers and fellow students
- regular feedback on your work and progress in face-to-face tutorials
- the ability to work at your own pace and develop your confidence
- high quality, innovative, British Council award-nominated lessons
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a combination of the following:
- Classes, seminars and lectures
- Weekly small group tutorials
- Group and individual work
Throughout the course you will receive feedback on your work to enable you to monitor your own progress and develop your skills.
Weekly time commitment
The Pre-sessional programmes are full-time, intensive programmes which combine structured study with independent study.
In most weeks, your course will include at least:
- 13 hours of classes with your tutor
- 2 hours of lectures
- 4 hours of guided online lesson preparation
- 30 min group tutorial
- 10 -15 hours of independent study and assessment work
- A variety of organised enrichment and co-curricular activities
You will take part in an assessed seminar, complete a listening test and write an extended essay.
To help you better prepare for the assessment tasks, you will complete a range of coursework and practice tasks. You will also receive tutor feedback on your work, which should help you better understand and monitor own progress and prepare you for the assessment tasks.
On successful completion of the Pre-sessional programme, you will progress to your chosen degree. Required Pre-sessional exit grades vary depending on your chosen degree.
What are the entry requirements?
You need to hold an offer to study a degree at King’s.
The Pre-sessional has different entry requirements depending on the English language level needed by each academic department.
All students will require a Secure English language test (SELT), except for those who may be eligible for an integrated CAS. Please see a list of all tests and entry requirements here: Pre-sessional Entry Requirements 2023.
PLEASE NOTE: students who hold unconditional offers are welcome to register for the 6-week Pre-sessional.
How much does it cost?
For more information regarding our courses please contact us using the details below