Information for parents
We realise that going to university will be a big, life-changing step for your son or daughter. With over 200 universities and Higher Education institutes in the UK, we also appreciate how overwhelming it can be for them to make the right decisions, and for you as a parent to offer advice and support.
King's is confident of the excellence we can offer your son or daughter. We have gathered here a number of links to information which we hope will help answer your questions about studying at King's and give you a good idea of what your son or daughter can expect should they join us.
Helping your son or daughter's application
You can play a big role in their decision-making. Watch our video on applying & personal statements to give them that additional support.
We've also added our top three tips when helping your son or daughter.
- Let them do the research. There's over 30,000 different courses to choose from in the UK alone, so let them have a look and see what the best course is for them
- Check their personal statement. Our advice is to look over for grammar, spelling mistakes and layout, but try not to give too many opinions as we want everything to be written by them. We can tell if a parent has written it!
- Come to Open Days with them. Come and see which universities they are applying for as it will give you a better sense of security knowing the safe environment they will be in. You can find out more about Open Days below.
King’s College London is the fourth oldest university in England and one of the top 10 UK universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020).
Many of our past students have gone on to change the world, including Florence Nightingale, Joseph Lister and Desmond Tutu.
King’s is based in the heart of London, so your child will be close to theatres, museums, galleries, libraries, restaurants and public transport. King’s recently moved into London’s grand, iconic Bush House, the former headquarters of the BBC World Service, which is now part of our Strand campus.
King's offers around 160 undergraduate degree programmes covering an exceptionally wide range of traditional core subjects and innovative new studies. The undergraduate prospectus details the content of each programme and the entry qualifications required.
Studying in London
We acknowledge that parents can be concerned about their son or daughter moving to London. However, for many it is a wonderful experience that they will always value.
Finance can understandably be a key concern for parents. However London need not be as expensive as one expects. The Student Funding Office and the Student Advice team both offer advice on student funding, ensuring students are aware of the financial support available to them and are able to budget and manage their money effectively.
Finding the right accommodation can be challenging, especially if it's your child's first time away from home.
King's accommodation is located throughout London and we have over 3,000 places available, plus access to University of London accommodation.
All applicants who meet the following conditions are guaranteed a place in college accommodation:
- have King’s College London as their firm choice for the 2020/21 academic year, for a full-time course
- apply by a certain date (2019 was midnight on 31 May, UK time). Check the website for updates for 20/21 academic year
- they have not already been offered accommodation for the year of application.
Learn more about accommodation for King's students
King's is proud to have received praise for our support network for students. In our Institutional Audit, the Quality Assurance Agency particularly highlighted the good practice at King's in respect to its student support at a university and departmental level.
Do come and get a feel for King's before your son or daughter applies to the university at one of our pre-application open days. Should their application be successful, your son or daughter will then be invited to either an interview or offer holder open day, prior to having to choose their firm institution.
Applicants can chat online with current students to find out what it's really like studying at King's and living in London.
For more information, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com