Learn more about the training opportunities at King's.
“When I learned about UNIque it sounded like the immersion I need to go through. I have been thinking about my career prospects and next steps, and the course was perfect timing.”
The early career research stage is tough. Interesting, intellectually challenging, pushing back frontiers of knowledge, working with talented people from around the world - all fantastic things. But have you ever:
- Wondered what on earth the next career step is going to be?
- Wondered if you can have a university career?
- Felt surrounded by researchers who are brighter and more together than you?
- Felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of 'stuff' you are supposed to do as a researcher?
- Thought of leaving academia but have just spent so long getting to this point?
- Looked at those 'high ups' in your institution and wondered where the women are?
- Tried to explain to your parents that postdocs seldom get Nobel prizes? (just me then?)
The gender pay gap in UK Universities is 15.5%. Only 25% of professors are female. Big battles.
“Meeting like-minded colleagues across universities and disciplines who are facing similar dilemmas and discussing their approaches to address them. I've gained so many new perspectives and insights, and constructive feedback from everyone.”
But as a researcher you are focused on your own battle: your career. The only person who is going to prioritise your career is you.
So what if you could:
- Step back to understand your career options in and out of the university sector
- Explore what is important to you so decisions are based on your values
- Get clear no-nonsense advice to help you get that next position
- Learn tools to help you set goals and realise them
- AND what if you could do this with a bunch of like minded women?
Welcome to UNIque - the online programme for university women. Early career researchers just like you.
Through online materials and weekly webinars we will explore:
- You and the university
- You and yourself
- You and your career
- You and your goals
- all from the comfort of your desk, sofa or lab bench!
The format is simple. A webinar once a week - a chance to say hello, ask questions and watch on record if you miss it. Then some self guided video lessons and activities to explore the weekly focus.
“I developed a far better understanding of my relationship with my career and how to think about this more constructively, proactively, and strategically. I feel more confident discussing these matters and more empowered in a healthy way - i.e. not so much "how do I get on in my career?" but more "how can I find the right, most natural and comfortable fit?" in a career that will be playing to my strengths, hence ensuring that I am able to give it my best, and it too will serve me well.”
Application Deadline: 12 noon on Friday 17 November 2023.Applicants will be notified of the outcome by Friday 24 November 2023.
Dates for cohort 1 webinars are:
- Wednesday 17 January 2024, 14:00-15:00
- Wednesday 31 January 2024, 14:00-15:00
- Wednesday 14 February 2024, 14:00-15:00
- Wednesday 28 February 2024, 14:00-15:00
- Wednesday 13 March 2024, 14:00-15:00
Dates for cohort 2 webinar are:
- Wednesday 10 Apr 2024
- Wednesday 24 Apr 2024
- Wednesday 08 May 2024
- Wednesday 22 May 2024
- Wednesday 05 Jun 2024
(times to be confirmed)
King’s prides itself on being a university with an ethos of inclusive excellence. We want our people to thrive and seek to shape an inclusive, empowering culture in which all our staff and students can be themselves, and be treated fairly and with dignity, with their success determined by the application of their talents. The UNIque programme is designed with this ethos in mind, to empower King's researchers who identify as women and are in the early stages of their research careers.