Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
Development Studies MA
Study the sources of global inequality and justice with this Development Studies MA, which boasts an interdisciplinary curriculum and an intersectional perspective. With this Development Studies MA you will be encouraged to reflect directly on how questions of social justice should be connected to the theory and practice of development, and in relation to race, class, gender and other identities. You’ll use this concept of social justice to investigate the legitimacy of power relations that shape social, political, and economic inequalities between different regions, states, groups and individuals. You will study the politics of development itself and be empowered to find and advance alternative ways of using development practice to create a better and more just world. The vision for this programme draws upon the original idea underpinning liberal arts degrees, that is, the goal of liberating students from the constraints of contemporary social structures and cultural practices by fostering their critical understanding of the present, their familiarity with social worlds located in other times and places, and their capacity to imagine and create new social institutions and practices for a more inclusive, equal and sustainable future.
- Learn how to help create a better, more just world. Our innovative and multi-disciplinary curriculum not found elsewhere in the UK enables students to focus on social sciences in relation to development, social justice, and sustainability.
- Study across a wide range of topics, exploring the key development issues and relationships that exist between gender, race, class, education, global politics, and the economy. Our programme enables you to shape your degree according to your areas of interest to help create new models of development to foster a socially just and sustainable future for all.
- Work with academics who are world-leading in their fields to learn how to apply critical development theories to build better and more effective practices for social justice.
- Study in a friendly and supportive Department, located by the Thames in the heart of London.
- You won’t just learn the theory – we will empower you with practical, technical skills that will be easily applied to real world situations and highly sought after by employers.