Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
Early Modern History MA
Our course looks at the history of Britain, Europe and the wider world between c.1500-1800, highlighting themes of political, cultural, religious and social history. Taught by experts in the histories of the Reformation and the Enlightenment, gender and the body, the material world of the Renaissance, race and racism, medicine and science, violence and conflict, and on Britain, Ireland, the German lands, Portugal and the Iberian world, our course offers you the opportunity to choose from a wide range of study options at one of Europe’s leading History departments. Our course leads to careers in museums, journalism, finance and the cultural sector, as well as further study in History and related disciplines.
- One of the best history departments in the world, ranked 3rd in the UK for Research Power (REF 2021) and seventh among departments of history in Europe (QS World University Rankings 2023).
- King's graduates enjoy one of the best employment rates and starting salaries in the UK.
- King's is ranked 6th in the UK for graduate employability (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022).
- A wide set of optional modules all taught by established experts in the field.
- Two rigorous core courses that train students in historical research in archives, manuscripts, print, visual culture, and objects and in a range of methodological and historical approaches Central London location and staff expertise offers students unrivalled access to world-class museums, collections, archives and libraries as well as easy access to resources in Europe.
- Vibrant research culture of seminars, workshops and conferences in the department and at the Institute of Historical Research, in which students are encouraged to participate.
“Studying at King's not only helped me develop skills in discussing history in an enjoyable and accessible way, but also gave me the skillset to confront the more difficult sides of history, especially in modules such as Public History. ”
Application closing date guidance
Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
Chat to current students and staff to find out about life at King's.
Want to know more about studying at King's? We're here to help.
King's is right in the heart of the capital.