Curious to find out more? Access on-demand content including taster lectures and talks, and meet our current staff and students on our subject hub page.
You can typically expect:
- The equivalent of over 50 days of academic sessions at King’s (typically three hours in the morning and/or afternoon spread throughout the academic year).
- Approximately 120 days of teaching placement.* This includes a short period of placement in primary schools (typically four days).
- A number of one-to-one tutorials totaling five to seven sessions across the year.
- Two visits from a tutor whilst on placement to observe lessons and monitor progress.
- Regular** meetings with a mentor, who will be a member of staff at your placement school, whilst on placement
- Written feedback on all credit-bearing assignments within four weeks of the deadline.
*This 120 day figure represents the standard number of placement days. In certain cases, following assessment by course tutors and mentors, students may be required to undertake a greater number of placement days to demonstrate their ability to meet the Teacher Standards.
**Typically each trainee will have a meeting with their mentor during each week they are on placement. In certain circumstances the frequency may vary.
The types of learning commitment encompassed within the course vary depending on modules. For this course one credit represents the equivalent of 10 hours of learning and engagement.
Professional Practice in Education (45-credit module)
This module covers the teaching practice that students carry out in secondary schools. As such, much of the time commitment is dedicated to teaching and planning lessons. The following will give you an idea of what a typical academic workload might look like as you progress through your studies.
||Self study/assignment work:
|14 contact hours (seminars/tutorials designed to evaluate teaching performance and provide feedback)
||200-220 hours of teaching (this includes time teaching by oneself and ‘team teaching’ in groups).
||216 hours to include lesson planning, observing lessons, marking pupils work.
School Data (15 credit module)
||Self-study/ assignment work
|10 contact hours
Studying Policy & Professional Practice (30-credit module)
|25.5 contact hours
||274.5 hours of self-study
Focused Pedagogical Studies (30-credit module)
|200 contact hours
||100 hours of self-study