Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
War Studies MA
Our War Studies MA explores the phenomenon of war and conflict as a key aspect of the human experience, along with its causes, conduct and consequences. Central to the degree is the study of war from a cutting-edge, interdisciplinary perspective - which includes historical, political, sociological, philosophical, artistic, legal, ethical and military viewpoints. War is a deeply complex and contentious phenomenon, and its interdisciplinary study offers an unusually powerful opportunity to sharpen your critical analytical and reflective abilities and develop independent thinking. This prepares you for a wide range of careers and positions of responsibility in which such advanced intellectual skills are highly valued by employers.
- Designed to provide a postgraduate-level introduction to War Studies for students who have little or no specialist background in the field.
- An introduction to novel and contentious topics, issues, viewpoints and approaches through vigorous, reasoned debate and analysis.
- An opportunity to structure your studies around your interests, through a wide range of optional modules and choice of your dissertation topic.
- A chance to develop a range of transferable skills at advanced level - such as critical analysis and reflection, intellectual independence, time management, written and verbal communication - that will enhance your employability, aid your professional career development and help prepare you for postgraduate research.
- You will be taught by some of the very best academics in the field hailing from all around the world. Departmental staff are internationally acknowledged experts in their areas of specialisation. They are active researchers and routinely use their latest findings in their teaching.
- Be part of a vibrant, highly international and multicultural community of students.
- Opportunities to network with high-profile visitors, such as government ministers, ambassadors, generals and academics, who frequently give talks in the Department.
- As the oldest programme in the Department, you will be welcomed into a long-standing global network of alumni.
- An opportunity to study at a global centre of excellence, located in the heart of London, that enjoys close relationships with other academic institutions, think-tanks, non-governmental organisations and policy-making bodies in London and around the world.
- A proven record of employability in a wide range of careers, including in academia, international organisations, non-governmental organisations, national civil and military public service, politics, journalism, public advocacy, risk analysis and many others.
- A scholarship from the Worshipful Company of Bowyers, (£2000 lump sum) is awarded based on academic merit and financial need to one War Studies student each year.
Application closing date guidance
Researchers and academics in our Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy are using their expertise to inform discussion and...