Courses are divided into modules, and students on this course take modules totalling 180 credits.
King’s College London reviews the modules offered on a regular basis to provide up-to date innovative and relevant programmes of study. Therefore, modules offered may change. Optional modules are therefore only made accessible to enrolled students during the module allocation process.
You are required to take the following modules:
As a part-time student, over the two years you will take modules totaling 180 credits. In your first year, you will take Intelligence in Peace & War and up to 60 credits worth of optional modules. In your second year, you will write up your dissertation (60 credits) and make up remaining credits from optional modules.
In addition, you are required to take 90 credits from a range of optional modules that may typically include the below. Part time students typically take 30 credits (or up to 60 credits) from the range of modules below that may include:
• Past & Present of British Intelligence (30 credits)
• Diplomacy & Foreign Policy (30 credits)
• National Security Studies (30 credits)
• Technology, Security and Global Politics (15 credits)
• Cybersecurity: Comparative Policy and Strategy (15 credits)
• Armchair Intelligence – Open Sources & Online Investigation (15 credits)
• Homegrown Radicalisation (30 credits)
• Political Violence, Counterterrorism and Human Rights ( 30 credits)
• Understanding Political Islam ( 30 credits)
Or choose from a range of optional modules available within the Department of War Studies. Please Note: the optional modules available change each year and are therefore only made accessible to enrolled students during the module allocation process. Residential students also have the flexibility to take online modules.
Online optional modules may typically include:
• African Security (15 credits)
• Air Power Studies 1: The Quest to Remove Battle from War (15 credits)
• Air Power Studies 2: Case Studies of Integrated Air Power (15 credits)
• Conflict in Russia & the Post-Soviet Space (15 credits)
• Conflict, Rights and Justice (15 credits)
• History of Contemporary Warfare 1: The Early Cold War, 1945–1975 (15 credits) • History of Contemporary Warfare 2: from Cold War to War on Terror, 1975–2011 (15 credits)
• Insurgency & Counter-insurgency (15 credits)
• International Law & the Use of Force (15 credits)
• International Relations & Contemporary War 1: Theories & Concepts (15 credits)
• International Relations & Contemporary War 2: Problems & Issues (15 credits)
• Middle Eastern Security (15 credits)
• Sea Power (15 credits)
• South Asian Security (15 credits)
• Strategic Dimensions of Contemporary Warfare (15 Credits)