Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
Modern Languages (French, German, Spanish, Portuguese) with a year abroad BA
UCAS code: R900
At King’s, we believe studying a modern foreign language can unlock the world, and our courses are designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to become the next generation of leading European and global citizens. As well as achieving fluency in your chosen language(s), you will also explore the culture and society of countries where those languages are spoken through our exceptionally wide choice of modules – with opportunities to cover everything from politics, literature, and film, to history and cultural studies. Our Departments offer you a lively and intellectually stimulating home in the heart of London where you will be taught by leading experts. You will also study, teach or work in a French, German, Portuguese or Spanish-speaking country on your Year Abroad, putting your learning into practice. Students on degree programmes combining two languages may take one at ab initio (beginners) level. For more about studying languages in the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures follow the department contact link.
- French, German and Spanish have been taught at King's since 1831 and Portuguese since the 1860s, making us one of the oldest modern languages programmes in the country.
- The Year abroad in a French, German, Portuguese or Spanish-speaking country offers the opportunity to immerse yourself in culture and society and attain language fluency. We have exchanges with a number of partner universities in Europe, as well as North and South America.
- Broad range of specialist modules in French, German, Portuguese and Hispanic Studies, from medieval to contemporary literature as well as politics, history, cultural studies, and film.
- Based in the heart of London, King's location offers access to a variety of galleries, theatres, specialist libraries and resources, including the Goethe-Institut and Austrian Cultural Forum, the Institut Français, Canning House, Camoes Centre for Portuguese Language and Culture, and the Instituto Cervantes, as well as events organised by embassies and other related cultural institutions.
- Personal attention is given to each student, creating an intellectually stimulating and warm environment that is reflected in consistently excellent student satisfaction ratings.
“Studying at King’s has allowed me to explore my subjects in so much more depth. Not only does the course provide a wide array of topics, such as history, philosophy and cinema, but there are countless opportunities available outside of the course, such as writing for the French and German magazines, or participating in the German play. ”
Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.
Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.
Information about living in London, including events, budgeting and expenses, travel and safety.
During your time at King's College London, a range of academic and personal support and guidance is available to you.