Dr Tom A. McAdams PhD
Associate Director and Honorary Lecturer
Sir Henry Dale Research Fellow (Jointly funded by the Wellcome Trust and the Royal Society)
KCL Pure profile:https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/thomas-mcadams(9b234345-5b72-405b-ae88-b11ce86ed31f).html
Research gate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tom_Mcadams
Supervising of Postdoctoral Researchers
I am happy to consider acting as supervisor to postdoctoral researchers with overlapping research interests to me, and would be willing to assist during the fellowship application process. Please contact me (see above) if you wish to discuss possibilities.
- Sir Henry Dale Research Fellow: 5-year fellowship funded by the Wellcome Trust and the Royal Society to examine the intergenerational transmission of psychopathology. SGDP Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London (2015-2020).
- Postdoctoral Research Worker on the Leverhulme funded Children-of-Twins Study, SGDP Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London (2012-2015).
- ESRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, SGDP Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London (2011-2012).
- Research Fellow at the Research Centre for Children, Schools and Families, Department of Psychology and Counselling, University of Greenwich (2010-2011).
- ESRC funded PhD student at the Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield (2007-2010).
- Funded by a University of Sheffield Studentship to complete the MSc in Psychological Research Methods at the Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield (2006-2007).
Broadly, my work focuses on the role of the social environment in the development of common emotional and behavioural disorders. I have a particular interest in the use of genetically informative methodologies that allow for the distinction between potential "real" environmental effects and the confounding effects of gene-environment correlation. For example, I work on international project in which we use children-of-twins data to study the effects of parental behaviours on offspring. The use of such data allows us to distinguish between environmental effects and passive and evocative gene-environment correlation.
- Elucidating the aetiology of psychopathology: Taking a multigenerational approach to genetically informative data. Sir Henry Dale Fellowship - jointly funded by the Wellcome Trust and the Royal Society, 2015-2020, £706,162.
- The role of antisocial friends in the development of adolescent antisocial behaviour. ESRC post-doctoral fellowship, June 2011-June2012, £85,328 (FEC £108,978). Fellow: Tom McAdams, Supervisor: Thalia Eley.
- Peers and the development of adolescent antisocial behavior. ESRC +3 open completion studentship.Three years at £13,200 per year, plus tuition fees and research costs.
- University of Sheffield Studentship (1 year). £12,600, plus tuition fees.
- Cheesman, R., Selzam, S., Ronald, A., Dale, P. S., McAdams T. A., Eley, T. C., Plomin, R. (in press). Childhood behaviour problems show the greatest gap between DNA-based and twin heritability. Translational Psychiatry.
- Hannigan, L. J., Rijsdijk, F. V., Ganiban, J. M., Reiss, D., Spotts, E. L., Neiderhiser, J. M., Lichtenstein, P., & McAdams, T. A.*, Eley, T. C. (2017). Shared genetic influences do not explain the association between parent-child relationship problems and offspring emotional problems: results from a Children-of-Twins study. Psychological Medicine.
- Gjerde, L., Eilertsen, E. M., Reichborn-Kjennerud, T., McAdams, T. A., Zachrisson, H. D., Zambrana, I. M., Roysamb, E., Kendler, K., Ystrom, E. (2017). Maternal perinatal and concurrent depressive symptoms and child behavior problems: A sibling control study. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry.
- Hannigan, L. H., McAdams, T. A., & Eley, T. C. (2017). Developmental change in the association between adolescent depressive symptoms and the home environment: a longitudinal, genetically informative investigation. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry
- Hannigan, L. J., Walaker, N., Waszczuk, M. A., McAdams, T. A., & Eley, T. C. (2017). Aetiological influences on stability and change in emotional and behavioural problems across development: a systematic review. Psychopathology Review.
- McAdams, T. A., Rijsdijk, F. V., Narusyte, J., Ganiban, J. M., Reiss, D., Spotts, E. L., Neiderhiser, J. M., Lichtenstein, P., & Eley, T. C. (2017). Associations between the Parent-Child Relationship and Adolescent Self-Worth: A Genetically Informed Study of Twin Parents and Their Adolescent Children. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry.
- Hannigan, L. H., McAdams, T. A., Plomin, R., & Eley, T. C. (2016). Parent- and child-driven effects during the transition to adolescence: a longitudinal, genetic analysis. Developmental Science.
- Hannigan, L. J., McAdams, T. A., Plomin, R., & Eley, T. C. (2016). Etiological Influences on Perceptions of Parenting: A Longitudinal, Multi-Informant Twin Study. Journal of youth and adolescence, 1-19.
- McAdams, T. A., Rijsdijk, F. V., Neiderhiser, J. M., Narusyte, J., Shaw, D. S., Natsuaki, M., Spotts, E. L., Ganiban, J. M., Reiss, D., Leve, L. D., Lichtenstein, P., & Eley, T. C. (2015). The Relationship between Parental Depressive Symptoms and Offspring Psychopathology: Evidence from a Children-of-Twins Study and an Adoption Study. Psychological Medicine.
- Eley, T. C., McAdams, T. A.*, Narusyte, J., Rijsdijk, F. V., Neiderhiser, J. M., & Lichtenstein, P. (2015). The intergenerational transmission of anxiety: a children-of-twins study. American Journal of Psychiatry.
- Michelini, G., Eley, T. C., Gregory, A. M., & McAdams, T. A. (2014). Aetiological Overlap between Anxiety and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Symptom Dimensions in Adolescence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12318
- McAdams, T. A., Neiderhiser, J. M., Rijsdijk, F. V., Narusyte, J., Lichtenstein, P., & Eley, T. C. (2014). Accounting for Genetic and Environmental Confounds in Associations between Parent and Child Characteristics: A Systematic Review of Children-of-Twins Studies. Psychological Bulletin. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0036416
- McAdams, T. A., Salekin, R. T., Marti, N. C., Lester, W. S., & Barker, E. D. (2014). Co-occurrence of antisocial behavior and substance use: Testing for sex differences in the impact of older male friends, low parental knowledge and friends’ delinquency. Journal of Adolescence. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2014.01.001
- Bolhuis, K., McAdams, T. A.*, Monzani, B., Gregory, A. M., Mataix-Cols, D., Stringaris, A., Eley, T. C. (2014). Aetiological overlap between obsessive-compulsive and depressive symptoms: A longitudinal twin study in adolescents and adults. Psychological Medicine. doi:10.1017/S0033291713001591
- McAdams, T. A., Gregory, A. M. & Eley, T. C. (2013). Genes of experience: explaining the heritability of putative environmental variables through their association with behavioural and emotional traits. Behavior Genetics. doi:10.1007/s10519-013-9591-0
- McAdams, T. A., Gregory, A. M., Rowe, R., Zavos, H. M. S., Barclay, N. L., Lau, J. Y. F., Maughan, B., & Eley, T. C. (2013). The Genesis 12-19 (G1219) Study: A Twin and Sibling Study of Gene-Environment Interplay and Adolescent Development in the UK. Twin Research & Human Genetics. 16(1), 134-143. doi:10.1017/thg.2012.83
- Brown H. M., McAdams T. A., Lester K J., Goodman R., Clark D. M., & Eley T. C. (2013). Attentional threat avoidance and familial risk are independently associated with childhood anxiety disorders. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12024
- McAdams, T., Rowe, R., Rijsdijk, F., Maughan, B. & Eley, T. C. (2012). The covariation of antisocial behaviour and substance use: A behavioural genetic perspective. Journal of Research on Adolescence. 21, 100–112. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-7795.2011.00758.x