We’re really excited about this new opportunity and want to see the creativity and problem solving that King's students can bring into the Changemakers programme. If you care about making a big impact and solving problems in the world please do consider applying, we’d love to hear from you."Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute
05 April 2023
New Changemakers programme aims to break down barriers to entrepreneurship
9-week initiative will support students from a widening participation background to find, develop and launch an idea into the world.
Run by the Entrepreneurship Institute (EI) in a similar format to an internship, King’s Changemakers will invite current King’s students to commit 20 hours a week between 3rd July – 1st September 2023 to work on a problem they are passionate about solving. The solution might be an idea for a new business, a non-for-profit, or a community project.
Over the course of nine weeks, participating students will:
- Attend training and mentoring sessions with the EI team and our Experts in Residence to learn the fundamentals of identifying a problem, creating a viable solution and getting the solution off the ground.
- Work independently, to put learning into practice and develop an idea or project through conducting customer research and validation, competitor analysis and defining a value proposition.
- Explore the 7 Skills of an Entrepreneurial Mindset, developing entrepreneurial skills that will address the world’s challenges and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Attend meetings to connect with other Changemakers, to share ideas and support each other to move forward.
This programme forms part of the EI’s commitment to understanding and removing barriers to entrepreneurship. Our research shows that students from widening participation backgrounds are more likely to face systematic barriers to entrepreneurship in connection to access, networks, resources and funding. Changemakers is seeking to directly redress that imbalance, whilst enhancing students’ employability and their propensity to positively impact the world.
Funded by Santander Universities UK, this opportunity is paid at London Living Wage (£13.09 per hour).
- Applications close: Monday 1st May 2023, 23:59 BST
- Interview dates: Early May (specific dates will be confirmed with applicants directly)
- Internship dates: 3rd July – 1st September 2023
- Mandatory training week: w/c 3rd July 2023
- For more detail, read the job advert on King's CareersConnect
Ideally this will be your first office-based work experience.
You are a UK fee-paying student.
You meet at least one of the following:
- You are a Careers+ student.
- You are from an underrepresented background.
- You are in receipt of King's Living Bursary.
Able to commit to 20h/week over the summer period, plus the training sessions.
Applications now open
Apply via the King's CareersConnect website. Got a question? Email the team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- King’s Entrepreneurship Institute
- King’s Business School
- Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience
- Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy
- Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences
- Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
- King’s Edge
- Careers & Employability
- Service at King’s