26 June 2023
King's alumni honoured in King's Birthday Honours 2023
King’s staff and alumni have been recognised for their extraordinary contributions and service in The King’s Birthday Honours. Eight current members of staff have been recognised, with two alumni knighted for their work in dentistry.
In his first Birthday Honours List as Monarch, King Charles III has awarded an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) to Professor Prokar Dasgupta, Chair in Robotic Surgery and Urological Innovation, for services to Surgery and Science.
Professor Louise Howard, Professor Emerita in Women’s Mental Health, has also been awarded an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for her services to women’s mental health.
Six other current King's staff members were also recognised. You can view the full list here.
We were saddened to learn of the recent passing of Professor Mark Monaghan, Professor of Echocardiography and Consultant Clinical Scientist at King’s College, who received his MBE in a special service at home. You can read a tribute to him here.
A host of King's alumni have also been celebrated as part of the announcement.
Rahima Aziz (Psychology, 2022) was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to Young People. The medal was founded in 1917 and was awarded for 'meritorious' actions by civilians or military personnel, with around 300 awarded every year to community volunteers.
Professor John Newton (Medicine, 1982) was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to Public Health.
The full list of alumni recipients on The King’s Birthday Honours List were:
- Rahima Aziz BEM (Psychology, 2022), BEM for services to Young People.
- Dr Richard Barrett MBE (Chemistry, 1968), MBE for services to Environment and Community.
- Major Nicholas Baveystock OBE (Defence Studies, 1995), OBE for services to Engineering.
- Siena Castellon MBE (King's Mathematics School, 2019), MBE for services to Neurodiversity Acceptance, Equality and Inclusion.
- Alex Gibson BEM (Forensic Science, 2000), BEM for services to Charity.
- Ian Gosling MBE (Law, 1969), MBE for services to British Nationals in France.
- Kathryn Harley MBE (Dentistry, 1981), MBE for services to Dentistry.
- Professor Francis Hughes MBE (Dentistry, 1979), MBE for services to Dentistry.
- Nick Knight CBE OBE (Anatomy & Human Biology, 1981), CBE for services to Fashion and to Photography.
- Dr Nihara Krause MBE (Clinical Neuropsychology, 1998), MBE for services to Mental Health of Young People.
- Dr Priya Kumar BEM (Biomedical Science, 2005), BEM for services to Health Improvement in South-East England.
- Dr Giles Maskell OBE (Medicine, 1980), OBE for services to Diagnostic Radiology.
- Professor Mark Monaghan MBE (Medicine, 1994), MBE for services to Cardiology.
- Professor John Newton OBE (Medicine, 1982), OBE for services to Public Health.
- Professor Christine Norton MBE (Chelsea College, 1982), MBE for services to Nursing Research.
- Jeeta Patel MBE (European Studies, 2011), MBE for Public Service.
- Professor Lauren Rea MBE (Portuguese & Spanish, 2004), MBE for services to Education in Latin America/UK.
- Kendra Schneller MBE (Nursing Free Standing Module, 2020), MBE for services to Homeless and Inclusion Health.
- Dr Graham Williams OBE (Medicine, 1984), OBE for services to Endocrinology.
All at King’s would like to congratulate those honoured this year, as further demonstration of our excellence and the strength of our global alumni community.
We’ve done our best to identify all staff and alumni recognised in the honours list, but if you know an individual we’ve missed, please do let us know.