01 January 2016
Notable alumni criteria
An outline of the criteria used for inclusion on the King's 'Notable Alumni' page
Our notable alumni page celebrates some of the most outstanding people that have studied or worked at King’s or the predecessor institutions that now form part of the university.
Alumni featured on the notable alumni page are likely to be already known to the wider public and or have achieved something very significant in their field.
It is our intention for this page to reflect the diversity of our alumni communities, and this may play a part in deciding which alumni are prioritised for having new profiles created.
General criteria for inclusion (N.B. Alumni should meet at least three of the following criteria):
- Selected for major national or international awards (e.g. Olympics, Nobel Prize), awarded the Order of the British Empire (GBE, KBE, DBE, CBE, OBE or MBE)1 or received external recognition and validation from their peers or industry
- Can demonstrate the scale and tangible impact of their work and achievements over a number of years
- Can demonstrate the far-reaching impact of their work in a way that transcends boundaries of sector, borders or industry
- Contributed to a major discovery or advancement in their field
- Is a recognised expert or leader in their profession or specialty at a national/international level
- Made a significant positive impact to their community, has influenced substantial change or is recognised for their outstanding contribution to society through voluntary or charitable activities
- Is a game-changer who transformed their field and challenged boundaries
- Has overcome additional barriers or challenges to achieve their success
1 The Order of the British Empire awards include:
- GBE, KBE or DBE (Knight or Dame) - Knight or Dame of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- CBE - Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- OBE - Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- MBE - Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
We regularly review our notable alumni list to ensure those featured reflect the values of the King’s community.
Last updated: October 2023