About the BiPAS CDT
The Biological Physics Across Scales Centre for Doctoral Training (BiPAS CDT) is a multi-disciplinary doctoral training programme in biological physics based at King's College London.
The programme is funded by the King's Centre for Doctoral Studies. Our focus is to understand how complex macroscopic phenomena—observed at scales appropriate to tissue, organism, or even population—arise from mechanisms at the cellular, molecular, and atomic level. This programme will give students the tools and skills they need to integrate knowledge across different length and time scales to bring new understanding to the mechanisms underlying the physics of life.
Who is it for?
This CDT is for physical scientists—physicists, chemists, mathematicians, and related disciplines—who are fascinated by the complexity of biological systems. All students will be co-supervised by a physical scientist and a life scientist for truly interdisciplinary training at the physics-biology interface.
You will develop experimental and theoretical/computational methodologies to gain inght into fundamental unanswered questions in biology, in fields ranging from immunology to stem cell biology to neuroscience. Ultimately, you will be trained to work successfully across the boundaries of traditional disciplines, scales, and methodologies and bring your expertise and innovation skills into the thriving and expanding life sciences realm, both in academia and industry.
BiPAS PhD students will use physical sciences methodologies to answer fundamental questions in the life sciences. All projects concentrate on addressing challenging biological problems with a multi-scale character. Through a co-supervision model that will immerse students in both the physical and life sciences, students will become highly skilled researchers, equipped with multidisciplinary and transferrable skills and positioned to produce ground-breaking original research that will push the frontiers of biological physics.
Read our full list of projects on the BiPAS CDT Projects page.
Before applying, please read the following documents carefully. Please note that applications that do not follow the steps in the application guidance document will not be considered.
You can find out more information about entry requirements and fees and funding on the BiPAS CDT course page. This is also where you will find a link to King's Apply to submit your application.
Third recruitment round:
- Application deadline: Friday 3rd July
- Shortlisting concluded by: Monday 13th July
- Interviews taking place: week starting 20th July
Our BiPAS-CDT student’s cohort will have full access to a large training portfolio offered by the Centre for Doctoral Studies and the Health Sciences Doctoral Training Centre of Kings’s College London.
The Centre for Doctoral Studies offers:
- Doctoral Essentials: a series of training courses aimed at helping students immerse into the PhD lifestyle, with each course focusing on a particular aspect of the PhD process.
- Career & Employability: do you know what will be your next step after your PhD? This series of training sessions will give you plenty of tips to prepare your future transition beyond the PhD.
- Personal Effectiveness: would you like to learn about being calm and working effectively under pressure? This series will prepare you to cope with those critical moments of your PhD work
Find out more on the Centre for Doctoral Studies website.
The Health Sciences Doctoral Training Centre offers:
- Molecular Basis of Disease: this theme concentrates on increasing our understanding of the basis of human disease.
- Imaging, Computational and Technological Approaches to Health: this theme explores research areas including clinical and molecular imaging, computational modelling, “big data” research and high throughput technologies.
Find out more on the Health Sciences Doctoral Training Centre website.