Before coming to King's, Anand was a Professor of West European Politics, and founding Director of the European Research Institute at the University of Birmingham. Prior to that he was University Lecturer in European Politics and Fellow of St Antony’s College, Oxford. He has held visiting positions at New York University, Columbia University and the Universite Libre de Bruxelles, amongst others. He is an associate fellow of Chatham House and Senior Associate member of Nuffield College, Oxford. He is co-editor of the journal West European Politics.
Anand is director of the UK in a Changing Europe a unique initiative funded by the Economic and Social Science Research Council that aims to make the findings of social scientific research available and accessible to all non-academic audiences interested in Brexit, the Brexit process and its implications.
- Brexit and British Politics (with G. Evans) Cambridge, Polity Press, 2017, 149pp.
- With Margaret Macmillan and Patrick Quinton Brown: Introduction: World Politics 100 years after the Paris Peace Conference, International Affairs, Issue 1, January 2019, pp. 1-5
- With Erik Jones: Europe Between Dream and Reality, International Affairs, 95, 1, January 2019, pp. 161-180.
- Uniting the United Kingdom: What Comes After Brexit, Foreign Affairs, July 2016.
- With R. Minto and D. Wincott: Introduction: The UK and the European Union, The Political Quarterly, 87, pp. 174-178.
- With J-P Salter: Britain’s influence in the EU, NIESR Review, 236, May 2016, pp. 7-14.
- Littler England: The United Kingdom’s Retreat from Global Leadership, Foreign Affairs, Nov/Dec 2015.
- With J Howorth: Wake Up, Europe! Global Affairs, 1,1, 2015, pp. 11-20.
- With D Kelemen and J Slapin: The European Union: Wider and Deeper? Journal of European Public Policy, 21, 5, 2014, pp. 643-646
- With D Kelemen and J Slapin: Wider and Deeper: Enlargement and Integration in the European Union, Journal of European Public Policy, 21, 5, 2014, pp. 664-680
- European Defence Policy from Lisbon to Libya, Survival 53, 3,2011 pp. 75-90.
- With Jennifer Welsh: Understanding NATO’s Sustainability: The Limits of Institutionalist Theory, Global Governance, 17, 2011, pp. 81-94
- Beaucoup de bruit pour rien: La politique de défense européenne après le traité de Lisbonne, Politique Etrangère, 2, 2011.
- With Christopher Bickerton and Bastien Irondelle: Security Cooperation Beyond the Nation State: The EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy. Journal of Common Market Studies, January 2011
- Power, Institutions and the CSDP: The Promise of Institutionalist Theory, Journal of Common Market Studies, January 2011
Currently on leave.
Currently on leave.
Expertise and engagement
Anand has written for most major national newspapers and appears frequently on the broadcast media, including flagship programmes such as Newsnight, the Today Programme, Question Time and the News Quiz.