Professor Niall Barr is Professor of Military History and Deputy Dean of Academic Studies (Education) in the Defence Studies Department.
Educated at the University of St Andrews, he has previously taught at St Andrews and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. He joined the Staff College in 2000, where he teaches on a wide range of military courses, including the Higher Command and Staff Course, and conducts numerous battlefield tours and staff rides.
His main research interest concerns the Anglo-American alliance in the Second World War, but he also has an enduring interest in the Scottish military tradition. His current research project concerns the role and importance of food in war.
- The role of food and logistics in warfare
- First World War (focusing particularly on 1918)
- Second World War (focusing particularly on the North African and Mediterranean campaigns)
- Anglo-American military co-operation
- Veterans and ex-service affairs (focusing particularly on the British Legion)
MA Special Subject
The War in the Mediterranean 1940-1943
Professor Barr is happy to consider PhD supervision in any of the areas listed above.
Professor Niall Barr PURE Profile