Dr Ougrin graduated from a medical school in Ukraine in 1998 and came to England to undertake his post-graduate training. He completed his higher training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Guy's and Maudsley and is currently a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist leading Enhanced Treatment Service at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. Dr Ougrin is also a Reader in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Global Mental Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London. Dr Ougrin leads a programme of information exchange between the UK and Ukraine.
His main professional interests include prevention of Borderline Personality Disorder and effective interventions for self-harm in young people.
Dr Ougrin is the author of Therapeutic Assessment, a novel model of assessment for young people with self-harm. He also developed and tested an Intensive Community Care Service model for young people with severe psychiatric disorders called Supported Discharge Service. The model was evaluated in the first randomised controlled trial of any intensive community care service for young people in the UK. The results of the trial informed the development of intensive community care services in the UK and internationally. Dr Ougrin has expertise in conducting randomised controlled trials in the fields of psychological therapy and mental health service models.
Dr Ougrin also works on developing a modular psychotherapeutic intervention for self-harm and on understanding the pathophysiology of self-harm in young people.
- Self-harm in young people
- Intensive community care services for young people with severe psychiatric disorders
- Pathophysiology of self-harm
Expertise and Public Engagement
- Editor-in Chief of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Self-Harm Advisor, MindEd e-portal
- Academic Secretary, Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Academic Director, Maudsley Health services in the Middle East
- MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health – course leader
- MSc in Family Therapy - chair of the assessment board
- The Kiddie Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia
- Therapeutic Assessment for Self-harm