Dr Elena Borelli
Deputy Team Leader for Italian and Linguistics
- Senior Tutor for the MLC
Elena Borelli graduated from Bologna University with a Master’s in Classics in 2002 and received a Master’s in Second Language Acquisition from the University of Venice. She then went on to complete a Ph.D. in Italian and French Literature at Rutgers University.
From 2012 to 2016 she was Assistant Professor of Italian literature at the City University of New York. Elena has also published translations of Italian poetry into English and vice versa. A passionate learner and teacher of languages, she speaks French, Spanish, and German and is currently learning Swedish. She joined King’s College London in 2017 and she is now Deputy Team Leader for Italian, Latin, and Linguistics.
- Borelli, E., “Traduzione o tradizione? Il dibattito sulla letteratura ne Il Marzocco” in Bouchard N., Ferme, V.(eds), Annali di Italianistica. Nation(s) & Translations 38 (2020), pp.177-192.
- "Taming Desire: Schopenhauer and Nietzsche in Gabriele D'Annunzio's Novels (1889-1900)", in The Poetics of Decadence in Fin-de-Siècle Italy, co-ed by Stefano Evangelista, Valeria Giannantonio and Elisabetta Selmi, (Peter Lang 2018), 225-50.
- Action or Contemplation? The Ethics of Desire in Fin de Siècle Italy, (Fairleigh Dickinson University Press , 2017)
- “Homo Faber. Giovanni Pascoli tra Scienza e Tecnologia. Rivista Pascoliana 27 (2015), 29-40.
- “The Beast Within. Desire in Fin de Siècle Italian Literature.” in Biological Discourses, ed. David Midgley (Peter Lang, 2017)
- "The Fire Within: Desire in Modern and Contemporary Italian Literature" (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014)
- “Dante in Gabriele D’Annunzio’s Poetry: From Mystical Lover to Poeta Vate”, in Mediaevalia Dante politico. Ideological Reception Across Boundaries (2017)
- "L'Effigie dell'Italia Bella: Aestheticism, Darwinism and Nationalism in Gabriele D'Annunzio's Writings." La Fusta XX, 2012, 26-34
- "Morality in Giovanni Pascoli’s Dantean Writings". Dante in the 19th Century, (Peter Lang Cultural Interactions Series, 2011) 331-349.
- "La Femme Orientale et le Héros de l’Occident. Dans le Laboratoire de la Re-écriture Ariostesque". Les Lettres Romanes Numéro Special (2008), 43-54.
- "Language and Identity in Vittorio Alfieri’s Vita". MHRA Working Papers in the Humanities, 3, (2008), 1-12.