Hannah joined King's in 2017 after four years at Oriel College Oxford as a Junior Research Fellow. She has a BA in History and Political Science from Trinity College Dublin and she was awarded her PhD from the University of California, Berkeley, where she was a Fulbright Scholar.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- Science and medicine in Early Modern Europe
- Skin colour in early modern medicine
- Early modern medical practitioners and practical structures of "race-making"
For more information, please see Hannah's full research profile.
Expertise and public engagement
As part of the Renaissance Skin team, Hannah oversees the project's public engagement offerings, which will include work with volunteers, schools, choreographers, fashion-designers and artists.
- (2020)) " Skin and Disease in Early Modern Medicine: Jan Jessen's De cute, et cutaneis affectibus (1601), Bulletin of the History of Medicine, 94 (2020), 179-214
- (2019) A New Order of Medicine: The Rise of Physicians in Reformation Nuremberg, University of Pittsburgh Press 2019 - Winner of the Society for Renaissance Studies Biennial Book Prize, 2020
- (2016) Common places and private spaces: libraries, record-keeping and orders of information in sixteenth- century medicine. Past and Present [Special Issue 11: The Social History of the Archive], 230 (Suppl. 11), 253-268
Murphy, H., 28 Feb 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Bulletin of the History of Medicine. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Murphy, H. S., 2019, (Accepted/In press) Ingenuity in the Making. Oosterhoff, R. & Marcaida, J. R. (eds.). University of Pittsburgh Press Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H. S., 2020, (Accepted/In press) Semantike und Narrative der Entscheidungs. Pohlig, M. (ed.). V&R unipress Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H. S., 3 Sep 2019, Knowledge and the Early Modern City : A History of Entanglements. De Munck, B. & Romana, A. (eds.). London : Routledge Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H., Apr 2019, Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press. 272 p. Research output: Book/Report - Book. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvmd8371
Murphy, H. S., 16 Nov 2016, In : Past and Present. 230, suppl_11, p. 253-268 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1093/pastj/gtw027