Hannah Murphy joined the department in 2017 first as a research fellow, and from 2021 as Lecturer in Early Modern History. She is the recipient of a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship and is Principal Investigator of the project, “Medicine and the Making of Race, 1440-1720”. She is also Co-Investigator on Renaissance Skin, a Wellcome Trust-funded project led by Evelyn Welch.
Prior to joining King’s, Hannah was a Junior Research Fellow at Oriel College, Oxford. She has a BA in History and Political Science from Trinity College Dublin and she was awarded her PhD from the University of California, Berkeley, where she was a Fulbright Scholar.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- The history of knowledge
- Science and medicine in early modern Europe
- Early modern medical practitioners and practical structures of "race-making"
For more information, please see Hannah's full research profile.
Expertise and public engagement
- (2020)) " Skin and Disease in Early Modern Medicine: Jan Jessen's De cute, et cutaneis affectibus (1601), Bulletin of the History of Medicine, 94 (2020), 179-214
- (2019) A New Order of Medicine: The Rise of Physicians in Reformation Nuremberg, University of Pittsburgh Press 2019 - Winner of the Society for Renaissance Studies Biennial Book Prize, 2020
- (2016) Common places and private spaces: libraries, record-keeping and orders of information in sixteenth-century medicine. Past and Present [Special Issue 11: The Social History of the Archive], 230 (Suppl. 11), 253-268
Murphy, H., 1 Jun 2020, In : Bulletin of the History of Medicine. 94, 2, p. 179-214 36 p., 1. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1353/bhm.2020.0034
Murphy, H. S., 2019, (Accepted/In press) Ingenuity in the Making. Oosterhoff, R. & Marcaida, J. R. (eds.). University of Pittsburgh Press Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H. S., 2020, (Accepted/In press) Semantike und Narrative der Entscheidungs. Pohlig, M. (ed.). V&R unipress Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H. S., 3 Sep 2019, Knowledge and the Early Modern City : A History of Entanglements. De Munck, B. & Romana, A. (eds.). London : Routledge Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter
Murphy, H., Apr 2019, Pittsburgh : University of Pittsburgh Press. 272 p. Research output: Book/Report - Book. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvmd8371
Murphy, H. S., 16 Nov 2016, In : Past and Present. 230, suppl_11, p. 253-268 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1093/pastj/gtw027