Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
Classics and the Ancient World BA
UCAS code: Q805
People versus elites, minority rights, sexual diversity and gender politics, empire and multiculturalism, ethnicity and race, religious identity and experience, consensus and conflict, art, philosophy, the meaning of justice: You will explore vital contemporary issues as you learn about some of the most celebrated and debated cultures of ancient Europe, Asia, and North Africa. With no compulsory modules, you are free to shape your degree to suit your own interests with our broad and fully flexible structure. Whether you are interested in literature, philosophy, history, global and social issues, politics, art, culture or languages, you will be able to choose what fascinates you. Study all aspects of Greece and Rome, Persia, Egypt, the Near East and North Africa and the influence of Greece and Rome on later history and culture, including the contemporary world.
- Classics at King’s is ranked first in the UK for research excellence (REF 2021) and third among UK Classics Departments in the QS World Rankings 2022.
- You will be part of one of the largest Classics departments in the UK, with unique coverage from the Bronze Age to Modern Greece
- Our central London location offers collaborations with the British Museum and other cultural institutions, which are incorporated into our teaching so that you get hands-on access to their collections.
- You will have the opportunity to travel on an expenses-paid field trip to ancient sites in the Mediterranean during your second or third year.
- Be part of our famous Greek Play before a live audience or gain experience of teaching classical topics in local primary schools.
- Our course combines focus and flexibility, allowing students to pursue their interests in a department renowned for the quality of its teaching and the student experience.
- You will be able to build on your current skills in Ancient Greek and/or Latin or go from beginner to advanced on an accelerated 3-year language route.
“I have three favourite things about studying Classics at Kings. 1. There are no compulsory modules so you have complete freedom to specialise in what truly interests you. 2. Learning in London is incredible, especially the proximity to amazing museums to see what you are studying in real life. 3. The range of modules, geographically and chronologically, - I really wouldn't want to learn anywhere else!”
Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.
Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.
Information about living in London, including events, budgeting and expenses, travel and safety.
During your time at King's College London, a range of academic and personal support and guidance is available to you.