Chat with current students and King's staff to find out about the courses we offer, life at King's and ask any questions you may have.
History & Modern Languages (French, German, Portuguese or Spanish) with a year abroad BA
UCAS code: R903
At King’s we offer you a lively and intellectually stimulating home in the heart of London where you will be taught by leading experts. In History, choose modules from medieval history to modern world history. We encourage you to take a comparative approach to your studies, looking at the connections and contrasts between different eras of history from around the globe. In Modern Languages, you will attain a high level of proficiency in speaking, writing and reading the language of your degree, whilst developing your knowledge and critical understanding of its culture and society. Students can take this course either with an A-level (or equivalent) in the degree language, or as a beginner, following a specially-designed language course (known as ‘ab initio’ – ‘from the start’), and our cultural curriculum is innovative and diverse, covering a range of modules in literature, from the medieval period to the contemporary, cultural studies, film studies, politics and history. You will spend the third year of your four-year degree studying, teaching or working in a French-, German-, Portuguese- or Spanish-speaking country, putting your language learning into practice. For more about the departments of History, French, German, and Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, follow the departmental contact links.
- Be part of a large, prestigious and highly ranked history department.
- Graduates get top jobs in a wide range of sectors, including law, business, government, heritage, finance and teaching.
- A wider range of periods and places than most history degrees, from medieval Europe to modern India.
- Our language departments are consistently ranked among the best in the UK and offer our graduates excellent career prospects.
- Broad range of specialist modules in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, from medieval to contemporary literature as well as politics, history, cultural studies, and film. • You can study French, German, Spanish or Portuguese language either post A-level (or equivalent) or with no previous knowledge of the language (ab initio).
- Based in the heart of London, King’s location offers access to a variety of cinemas, galleries, theatres, world-class museums, collections, specialist libraries and resources, including the Goethe-Institut and Austrian Cultural Forum, the Institut français, Canning House, Camões Centre for Portuguese Language and Culture, and the Instituto Cervantes, as well as events organised by embassies and other related cultural institutions.
- The Year abroad in a French, German, Portuguese or Spanish-speaking country offers the opportunity to immerse yourself in culture and society and attain language fluency. We have exchanges with a wide variety of partner universities across Europe, in Martinique and Quebec, and in Middle and South American countries such as Mexico, Chile, Ecuador, Peru and Brazil.
“This course is really flexible and allows you to focus on whatever topic you’re most interested in, whether that’s medieval history and literature, or contemporary politics.”
Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.
Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.
Information about living in London, including events, budgeting and expenses, travel and safety.
During your time at King's College London, a range of academic and personal support and guidance is available to you.