St Thomas' Campus project
King’s College London has unveiled plans to refurbish and develop one of its prime properties in the heart of London to increase space for health education and training.
Architects have drawn up plans for the refurbishment and redevelopment of Block 9 and the Prideaux Building, located on Lambeth Palace Road, which is the last King’s-owned development opportunity on the St Thomas’ Hospital campus.
The plans will provide additional education and training space for King’s and Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust which would be achieved through the re-development of the Prideaux Building, the refurbishment of the Listed Block 9 building, the removal of the poor quality extensions to the Listed building which detract from the heritage setting and their replacement with more appropriate structures and the creation of a courtyard.
The proposals would create space for:
- A state of the art 300+ seater multi-purpose auditorium space
- Modern, flexible workspace for the benefit of health education and training
- A new café for staff and student use
- A new terrace and rooftop space for staff and student use
- Improved access for all around the site and within the buildings
- Additional safe and secure cycle parking.
Ralph Luck, King’s Director of Real Estate, said: “This is one of the most prestigious locations in London overlooking the Thames and the Houses of Parliament and adjacent to Lambeth Palace. It is the only King’s-owned opportunity for the St Thomas’ Hospital campus and offers the opportunity to create fantastic facilities for our students and Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital which will support King’s ambition to be amongst the world’s truly great universities.”
You can see the detailed plans here:
1. Project Brief and Location
2. Historic Site Development
3. Restoration of Original Structures
4. Emerging Proposals
5. Block 9 refurbishment
6. New Prideaux Building
7. New Block 9 Extension
8. Developing Scheme Plans
9. Developing Scheme Plans 2
10. Developing Scheme Plans 3
11. Developing Scheme Plans 4
12. Views Studies
Block 9 courtyard
New Prideaux Building