External Examiner nominations
When selecting a nominee for appointment as an External Examiner for the College, it must be ensured that the nominee:
- is external to the College
- is an academic member of staff from another UK higher education institution. Assessment Boards must seek permission from the Academic Standards Sub-Committee to appoint an External Examiner from overseas
- has relevant current experience and expertise in the discipline being examined, including the design and operation of assessment, in order to speak authoritatively on academic standards germane to the discipline and should be familiar with the standards and procedures of university-level education in the United Kingdom
- shall have relevant academic and/or professional qualifications to at least the level of the qualification being externally examined and/or extensive practitioner experience where appropriate
- has not been a lay member of Council, College student, employee of the College in the preceding five years
- has not been involved in the validation or approval of a programme as an External Expert or similar in the preceding three years
- does not belong to any institution in which a member of College staff is appointed as an External Examiner in the same subject
- does not have any close personal professional or contractual relationship with staff involved in the delivery of the programme nor be involved in any activity that could be considered a conflict of interest
- is not re-appointed within a period of five years following a previous appointment
- does not belong to an institution in which the exiting External Examiner belongs to
- Is eligible to work in the UK*
*for full criteria please see the A3 Taught Academic Regulations
Appointees shall not hold an External Examiner role for more than two universities.
Following informal approach and discussion:
- External Examiner completes Section A - D of the nomination form
- Assessment Sub-Board Chair completes Section E of the nomination form.
- Assessment Board Chair authorises the nomination form.
- Nomination form sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval by the Chair (or their nominee) of the Academic Standards Sub-Committee and for a check of eligibility to work in the UK.
- Nomination confirmed by Chair of Academic Standards Sub-Committee within one month of authorised nomination and College level induction information supplied.
- Assessment Sub-Board provides local induction.
Forms must be submitted via our institutional email address (the confirmation emails from the External Examiner and Assessment Sub-board Chair must be attached to the authorisation email from the Assessment Board Chair).
Terms of appointment
- External Examiner appointments are normally* made for a period of four years (any extension must be applied for using the extended tenure form).
- The appointment will normally commence at the start of the academic year when the term of the previous External Examiner comes to an end.
- The College will seek to terminate the appointment if an External Examiner fails to meet the associated duties
- The appointment is subject to three months' notice by either party.
*five years for Part Boards of Examiners in MB BS and BDS.
Extension of tenure
An Assessment Sub-board may request an extension of an External Examiner's appointment beyond four years in order to meet local requirements. Such a request must be approved by the Chair of the relevant Assessment Board and submitted through the Faculty for approval by the Academic Standards Sub-Committee.