KCL Smile Society
The KCL Smile Society is a non-profit charitable organisation run by dental students to improve knowledge of good dental health in the local community.
Tooth decay is one of the most common health problems in the UK and affects most people at some stage in their lives. Simple measures and advice can make a huge difference and the SMILE Society is taking these insights out into the local community.
The society runs interactive workshops for children in Key Stages 1-3 (age 5 to 14), and provides advice sessions for older students, educating them on good oral health and disease prevention.
The workshops have an emphasis on being engaging and entertaining, so the children have fun while they learn. There is a serious purpose behind this fun and games: the society is educating children now so they can grow with good oral health.
The aims of the KCL Smile Society are to:
- Educate children about teeth and the tooth disease process, while encouraging preventative dental care
- Discuss and demonstrate methods for good oral hygiene
- Diminish fear of the dentist, crucial during childhood and adolescence
- Provide a comfortable environment for questions
- Gain invaluable experience and give back to the community.
Find out more