Downloads from this meeting
25 people attended this seminar.
Please note that this event has passed.
The seminar is being led by presenters from the Social History of Learning Disability Research Group (SHLD) based at the Open University, including:
- Ian Davies: Co-chair, SHLD
- Dr Liz Tilley: Co-chair, SHLD
- Professor Jan Walmsley: Founder, SHLD
- Dr Sue Ledger, SHLD
- Dr Noelle McCormack, SHLD
At the heart of the group's approach, from its beginnings in 1994, is a recognition that people with learning disabilities are experts in their own lived experience. Over the last 28 years the group has been researching, recording and sharing life stories told by people with learning disabilities, their families and supporters. In recent years there has been increased interest in life story work with adults with learning disabilities and their families. Partly driven by Care Act requirements and increased recognition of the value of co-production, a range of life story approaches has been introduced through research in health, social care and advocacy settings. The webinar draws on an article published in 2021 by the presenters in the British Journal of Learning Disabilities. The paper reviewed evidence for the use of life stories in learning disability research and practice, including Ian Davies's experience of putting together his own life story and sharing it with others.
The webinar will:
- Explain life stories and their use with people with learning disabilities.
- Discuss the value of life story work, and its place in policy and practice contexts.
- Share examples of life story work including work with people with high support needs.
- Use film to listen to the views of people with learning disabilities and their families.
- Discuss the challenges of implementing life story work and possible ways forward.
A Zoom link will be sent out to attendees once registration has closed on 5th October 2022.
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please follow this link to book onto the seminar: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/life-story-work-with-people-with-learning-disabilities-tickets-411265154147
This is an event in the Learning Disability Services Series based in the NIHR Policy Research Unit in Health and Social Care Workforce at King's College London.
At this event
Search for another event