Dr Andrew White
Senior Lecturer in Culture, Media & Creative Industries
Andrew White joined King’s College as a Senior Lecturer in Cultural Policy in 2022. He has previously worked at Queen’s University Belfast, the University of Ulster and Oxford Brookes University. From 2007 to 2020, he worked at the University of Nottingham’s China campus, serving as the head of the School of International Communications from 2016 to 2019.
Andrew’s main research and teaching interests are in policy on the creative and cultural industries in the UK and China, the UK music streaming industry and critical approaches to digital media.
He has published his research in the form of journal articles, book chapters, newspaper articles and a single-authored monograph with Palgrave Macmillan entitled Digital Media & Society: transforming economics, politics and social practices; a Portuguese translation of this book, Midia Digital e Sociedade, was published in 2016.
Before becoming an academic, Andrew worked as an archivist at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, and on digitisation projects at Queen’s University Belfast and the Linen Hall Library Belfast. The latter produced the Troubled Images CD-ROM, a compendium of Northern Irish political posters which was the recipient of the 17th annual Christopher Ewart-Biggs Memorial Prize in 2003.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- Cultural policy
- Creative industries
- Critical approaches to digital media
- Universal basic income
- UK music streaming industry
- Gilardi, F., White, A., Chen, ZT, Cheng, S., Song, W. & Zhao, Y. (2022) From copycat to copyright: intellectual property amendments and the development of Chinese online video industries. International Journal of Cultural Policy. Online First: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10286632.2022.2040494
- White, A. (2022) Overcoming ‘confirmation bias’ and the persistence of conspiratorial types of thinking. Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, 36(3): 364-376. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10304312.2021.1992352
- Gilardi, F., White, A., Cheng, S., Sheng, J., Song, W. & Zhao, Y. (2020) How online video platforms could support China’s independent microfilm (short film) makers and enhance the Chinese film industry. Cultural Trends, 29(1): 35-49.
- White, A. (2019) A universal basic income in the superstar (digital) economy. Ethics and Social Welfare Special Issue on Technology-driven unemployment: dilemmas for ethics and social welfare, 13(1), pp. 64-78.
- White, A. (2014) Digital Media and Society: transforming economics, politics and social practices. Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
My main teaching interest is in cultural policy in the UK and China.
Expertise and public engagement
Andrew has written newspaper articles on the creative industries and digital media which have appeared in the China Daily, Washington Post and The Guardian.