Dr Clara Lopez
Deputy Director of Centre for Climate Law & Governance
- Lecturer in Spanish Law
Clara is Lecturer in Spanish Law at the Dickson Poon School of Law and Deputy Director of the Centre for Climate Law & Governance. Her research focuses on the intersection between international investment law and human rights particularly on the mining industry and sustainability. Clara joined King's College London as lecturer in 2024 having previously taught as visiting lecturer in investment law at the Dickson Poon School of Law and in international law at the War Studies Department of King's College London.
Clara holds a degree in Law and Business Administration and Management from Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, an LLM in International and Comparative Dispute Resolution from Queen Mary University of London and a PhD from King's College London. During her doctoral studies Clara was awarded prestigious funding awards including a Modern Law Review Scholarship and Simon Roberts Award, an ICCA Johnny Veeder Fellowship, a Dickson Poon School of Law Postgraduate Scholarship and a la Caixa Fellowship.
She has previously worked as a litigation and arbitration associate in law firms in Spain and Peru where she is admitted to practice. She has acted as counsel in arbitrations carried out under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID, Corte de Arbitraje de la Cámara de Comercio de Lima, Centro de Resolución de Disputas PUCP and Corte Civil y Mercantil de Arbitraje de Madrid. She has experience in commercial, construction, energy and investment arbitration and she participated in negotiations between foreign investors and the Ministry of Economy in Peru. She also worked as a research assistant at UNIDROIT in Rome.
- International Investment Law
- Investment Arbitration
- Human Rights
- Mining and Sustainable Development
- Spanish Law
- International Law Challenges to Peruvian Mining Regulation in Kent, CH, Lalani, S, Petrochilos, G, & Ziegler, AR (eds) 2021, Social License and Dispute Resolution in the Extractive Industries, BRILL, Boston.
- Rodríguez, Clara María López, 'Peru’s ‘Intercultural Law’ Proposal: Promoting Ethnic Diversity in the Administration of Justice', in Freya Baetens (ed.), Identity and Diversity on the International Bench: Who is the Judge?, International Courts and Tribunals Series (Oxford, 2020; online edn, Oxford Academic, 21 Jan. 2021), https://doi.org/10.1093/oso/9780198870753.003.0025
- Álvarez Zárate, J. M. et al. (2020) Duration of Investor-State Dispute Settlement Proceedings. The journal of world investment & trade. [Online] 21 (2–3), 300–335.
For more information on Clara's research, visit her research portal.